What's new
What's new

Lagun FT-1 Mill, Broken Quill Feed, Help!

Howihowi

Aluminum
Dear All,

I hope I'm not the only idiot to ever have reversed the quill feed. It got stuck, I un-stuck it. Now the mill works but the quill feed stopped working.

Finally made the time today to take it all apart for the first time. It's a Bridgeport copy but I doubt the internal parts are the same. These are the broken parts:

wiYX8r.jpg

6QQ8tY.jpg

I have no clue where to get these replacement parts. I've contacted Lagun to try my luck but I'm not counting on it, as this is a rather old machine. Your help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :bowdown:

Thank you everyone!

Howi

Hello,
Yep, you found the problem. Broken, toothless worm cradle bevel gears. When I got my big Webb mill, the up and down feed worked but was intermittent. Upon pulling the head apart, I discovered that three or four teeth were missing on the drive gear. I replaced both gears and all was well. You have the exact same problem.

This is generally due to using the feed for large drills. I'm sure that you already know that the Bridgeport manual (and most clone manuals) state that the down feed should never be used for more than a 3/8" drill. I my case, Bubba owned the mill before me and apparently had his way with it.

Google is your friend. I think you will be able to start with this link. Laguns are excellent mills and there will be lots of information on the Internet.

Oops, I noticed that you have already contacted Lagun. Surely there are other sources but what do I know?

Good luck.

Parts - Lagun Engineering Solutions

Hello,
Yep, you found the problem. Broken, toothless worm cradle bevel gears. When I got my big Webb mill, the up and down feed worked but was intermittent. Upon pulling the head apart, I discovered that three or four teeth were missing on the drive gear. I replaced both gears and all was well. You have the exact same problem.

This is generally due to using the feed for large drills. I'm sure that you already know that the Bridgeport manual (and most clone manuals) state that the down feed should never be used for more than a 3/8" drill. I my case, Bubba owned the mill before me and apparently had his way with it.

Google is your friend. I think you will be able to start with this link. Laguns are excellent mills and there will be lots of information on the Internet.

Oops, I noticed that you have already contacted Lagun. Surely there are other sources but what do I know?

Good luck.

Parts - Lagun Engineering Solutions

Thanks Newman. What I did was I was trying to feed the quill but had forgotten that my mill was spinning backwards, so in my attempt to feed down, it went up and got jammed. :nutter:

Did you also contact the manufacture of your mill to get the replacement parts? Or were you able to source them online somewhere?

Howi

Thanks Newman. What I did was I was trying to feed the quill but had forgotten that my mill was spinning backwards, so in my attempt to feed down, it went up and got jammed. :nutter:

Did you also contact the manufacture of your mill to get the replacement parts? Or were you able to source them online somewhere?

Howi

Webb has a plant in Southern California where they sell their mills and lathes. They stock parts there for everything that they sell. I needed a lot of parts, too because the mill had formerly been modified to CNC but the computer and DRO were gone when got it.

I'm pretty sure that you will be able to find what you need online, but you are going to need a parts manual. I bought that for my Webb first so that I would have the exact parts numbers and nomenclature.

I don't know about the Lagun models but here are some links to try.

http://industrialmanuals.com/lagun-m-72.php

Lagun FTV-2, Milling Machine instructions and Parts Manual: Lagun: Amazon.com: Books

Lagun FT1, Milling Machine, 82 page, Instructions and Parts Manual | eBay

I have ordered parts for my Lagun from them before, email is the best way.
Also H&w aka machinepartsdepot can get Lagun parts too

Thank you all so much!

I contacted Lagun and was able to purchase the parts, and received them very quickly! I repaired the machine and she's good again.

I really enjoyed Lagun's customer service and support. I can't believe they supported my machine after all these years. Makes me want to look into one of their newer machines....

Thanks for giving the follow up - sometimes these threads die without ever knowing what happened or whether the problem was solved. Glad yours was in the latter category!

I have an FT 1 that is suffering from no quill feed..It was missing the clutch cover, the fork and even the crown gear part of the clutch.....I have all that stuff now and it still won't work because the screw gear that drives the crown gear does not turn, The engage/disengage is working, that feed speed is working. Any ideas?

That's a good report on parts availability for Lagun mills. When I got my Webb mill a few years ago, everything worked including the downfeed except the down feed would pause every few seconds. I removed the top of the head and saw that one of the bevel gears on the worm cradle was missing several teeth. Although the other gear appeared OK, I opted to replace both gears to be sure.

Webb in California had all of the parts in stock and I felt that $100 or so delivered was not too awfully bad.

Such damage is generally caused by a previous owner using the downfeed to power down on large drills. The manual for Webb, which is a copy of the Bridgeport one that is online, states that the downfeed should not be used on drills larger than 3/8". In my case, when I drill on the mill, I avoid the downfeed and instead use the quill lever.

Back