What's new
What's new

Lagun FTV-2

Jonathans

Aluminum
I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post this.
I am considering moving up from my Millrite, to a Lagun FTV-2.
This would be my "lifetime" mill as I wouldn't expect to ever replace it.
The mill is from a reputable rebuilder and would have been completely gone through and all bearings and bushings etc. in the head, spindle, and from variable speed replaced. The base and table thoroughly gone through as well. It come equipped with new xyz power feeds, power draw bar, and 4 axis dro. Price is 8,000 plus shipping. No painting or bodywork done as it's in fairly good cosmetic shape already.
Here a pic pre-work.
View attachment 190834
View attachment 190835
What do you guys think of this price for a nearly new condition machine?

I ran one for years for a former employer. It is IMHO a better mill(more rigid), than a Bridgeport. I think the price is too high unless it is fully reconditioned, including a new DRO and scales. Even if you overpay, a good FTV is a pleasure to run.

Lots of gimmicks of which most you don't need. They look cool and your friends will say "Wow"

Reputable? I can't tell you how many times I've heard that used on this forum.
The mill is about $5K, with $3K worth of stuff added on.

A Lagun isn't a bad machine, box ways on the saddle make it a little more rigid than a BP. Just be aware of what you're buying. Since you're a "hobbiest" do you really need a power drawbar, 4 axis DROs, and 3 axis feeds??? Looks cool, but I'll bet that 90% of the job shops don't have all that.

The price seems a little high, even with that equipment. As JRIowa said, I would check it over carefully and want to see evidence/proof that all of that rebuilding has actually been performed. With all that said, I have a good friend with a Lagun and I believe it is a more robust machine than my BP. Concerning the necessity of the power draw bar, DRO and power feeds, you can certainly get by without them, but, I am a hobbyist and have all of those features on my BP mill and I use all of them just about every time I use the mill and they sure are nice to have.

Ted

Back