What's new
What's new

?re: Back gear "pops out"

jackalope

Titanium
I am curious why my Bp pops out of back gear when engaged. I have a 69 VS 1.5hp. I don't use the back gear to often but the other day, I engaged it, turned it on and proceeded to use a 7/8" drill bit. After a few seconds, it popped out and you could hear the gears. I put it back into high and turned the RPM's down and drilled that way, but wnated to ask the forum their thoughts??
Any advice? I don't think anything was damaged.

It may be that you did not pull the handle back out after changing to back gear. the spring and assembly that returns pin to the locked position may need wd40. Any chips of dirt in the hole. The pin or hole may have rounded edges and so overcome the sping tension and jump out. If you use it frequently it may just need a good dose of wd

Grant, what did you find out? I have seen the pin and hole get rounded off pretty bad when working on older heads other than that there isn't anything I can think of to kick it out of BG.

There are three stout little springs that help disengage the BG when you shift to high so it is important that the lever and plate are in good shape.

Hope you didn't ding the bull gear. Keep us posted.

Good luck, Doug Baker

I will check when I get up there again. I, too, am concerned with any potential damage. The fact that it was running in BG and then popped out i think kept the teeth from engaging and breaking!!! We'll see........-Grant

Back