What's new
What's new

Harding Bros Horz Mill, question

J S

Plastic
I'm wondering if anyone knows what this item is from the description I was given.

"milling machine; high speed precision, horizontal, Harding Bros., inc., spindle speeds 110-1850, 3/4 HP 3 phase 440v 1750rpm motor, 1953."

Thanks

I would say it is a steel dial UM or TM, based
on the '53 number. I'm not quite sure when
they went to white dials.

You cannot really tell from the description if
it's universal or not.

It's probably not a cataract miller, or a BB4
like Norm linked to, those are pretty much older.

Jim

That is a steel dial TM, and it's been up there
for a while. There are three or four hardinge,
milling machines like that have been on there
for years. There's that one, the one with the
funny large handwheel for table traverse (which
I think is reliable), and the one that keep on
showing up where sombody went nuts frosting the
exterior of the table with a biax scraper.

It's actually getting tough to find a nice
one that hasn't been trashed out. The paint
job on this particular one was sprayed on,
including over the power feed pulleys.

Jim

Actually, I believe the mill linked in Martensite's post is a UM. I agree that it is priced high and the slather on paint job would discourage many (most?) knowlegeable prospective bidders.

But, sometimes the true condition can be masked just the opposite of what the "cosmetic enhancement" might suggest. I am just finishing the complete reconditioning of a UM that had been painted with a thick spray of gloss white emamel over every surface save the table top and sides, including most exposed way surfaces. The price was reasonable enough that I took a chance and, underneath, not just one, but two coats of different paint, found a virtually prisitine late model UM.

I really don't understand the thinking that would prompt a seller to go to the effort of a "shallow" cosmetic makeover since it would turn off most astute buyers. Even though the price was right on mine, I did a lot of checking to ensure the risk of getting a lemon was acceptable.

Jim

Hey Jim - where did you manage to find a nice
machine like that? I've been looking for
quite some time - although I am out of the
market now - for something like that, and the
pickings are pretty slim.

Jim

Jim R,
I found the machine on Ebay almost exactly two years ago. It was one of few for sale in the southeast within driving distance of me. The pictures made it look terrible but the seller patiently answered questions and I gained the confidence needed to take a chance. What convinced me to bid in the end was the accessories; vertical head, dividing head gearbox and OEM electric table feed.

Turns out it originally owned by Parker Hannifin and purchased from them as surplus by an employee from whom I bought it. Best he could learn of its history, it was purchased by PH for a specific job which did not last long and then was moved several times and kept in storage until eventually sold. I've got the ebay pictures filed somewhere and will eventually post some before and after pics.

Regards,
Jim

Back