What's new
What's new

Looking for the 27 tooth idler gear for an old mechanical feed BP

Rolling Stone

Aluminum
I have a series "I" that Noah used building the ark and have found out it is missing a gear and stud in the mechanical feed gear box. This idler gear has 27 teeth and is a 16 pitch 14 1/2 pressure angle. I am hoping someone has one laying around and I don't have to remake a Boston or Browning gear. I guess this is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack but if I don't ask, I'm sure no one will volunteer the fact they have one. Thanks in advance and I hope I hear good news. If necessary I will buy more of the unit than the gear. I just don't need another "whole" machine.
Rolling Stone

have you found one yet?

pretty sure i have one (as well as most other parts of the box), will need to check later today.

Thanks, I bought a Boston gear and modified it to do the job. Adjusting the swing of the idler to the correct engagement was a trip. There is a key and keyway that must be offset to change the depth of engagement. I finally got her done.
Rolling Stone

310 Guy,
I appreciate the link "but" if you look close there are no parts for this old type feed. The only hope was used and "Lost Creek" was the only one I found with any pieces and they were so worn I felt "shade treeing" my own was the best, fastest way. Now if I could only find a 40 tooth 16 pitch, 5/8 bore gear for my SB heavy 10, I could get it going too.
Rolling Stone

Hi,

I am repair the same old gear box and found the needle bearings and idler stud worn out.

Could you please expand on how you use the key to adjust the gear engagement?

Thanks, Tom

Back