What's new
What's new

Looking for a solid 5c tool holder for a hardinge horizontal mill spindle

rosie

Hot Rolled
I think the title says most of it. I'm trying to tool up my dad's horizontal hardinge mill. I'd like to find a couple solid holders that will fit in the 5c spindle of his mill. I want them so that endmills will be very secure. I'm going to give him some indexable endmills in 1/2, 3/4, and 1" shanks. They won't be for hogging material, just skim facing. I figured this would be the forum with the most expertise on these machines, and hopefully someone here knows where to find these tools. I'm also open to suggestions, I just don't see a 5c collet holding anything over a 1/2" endmill very securely.

Thanks much
Rosie

I have searched out tooling for my TM mill for decades. I have managed to find one partial set of 5C end mill holders, 1/4, 1/2, 5/8 and 1 inch, all made by Weldon. I have three 5C holders for 1-1/4 inch end mills. Darex sells them for sharpening with their E-90 grinder. They have under size set screws and are not up to using for milling.

Weldon is still in business, so you could ask if they have any. I just looked in their catalog and they do not show 5C holders, but do make R8 and the big taper shank stuff. I have not seen any 5C end mill holders in the old Hardinge catalogs. Hardinge does make 5C plug chucks which can easily be made into end mill holders, and they are not expensive.

Personally, I generally use 5C and R8 collets to hold end mills.

Larry

I've never seen purpose-built 5C end mill holders. You could easily make them
by purchasing blank 5C plug chucks (basically a solid 5C collet with a blank
extension out the front) and then boring to size.

If he's not hogging then the 5C collet actually does a decent job.
This is what I run typically on my UM milling machine. On real rough
hogging operations I have seen end mills suck out of the collet. But
I'm talking 1/2 inch depth of cut in steel, taking 0.1 inch deep at a
whack cuts on the side of the cutter.

Jim

Rosie, I've got a Sandvik, 5c shank to C-8 Coromant collet chuck w/ a half dozen or so collets, biggest one I've got is 1". Collet depth is 2"of grabbing surface compared to about 7/8" on a 5-C.
The C-8 Collet is like a ER COLLET, SNAPS INTO THE COLLET NUT, Your welcome to try it, I've never used it, and see no particular use for it in the future.
If you like it, send me $50.00 for all, if not send it back, cost you nada.
dave [acme thread]

GATHERED COLLETS, 3/8"-1/2"-5/8"-3/4"-7/8" AND 1"

Last edited:
5-c end mill drivers

Rosie:

I have never seen what you are asking for, and I know what you are going through, I eventualy made my own ....and when I did I made them for the 4-c also.....it took some time but I was very pleased when I was done,

but like Jim Rosen was saying collets usually do a good job for "scratching" and that is all you are really going to do with the Hardinge Mill. .100 at the most is all I would dare take .....now I am not putting that machine down....I still own two of them....and one has the gearbox and dividing head.for helical milling....which brings to mind....I have two more dividing heads I would be willing to sell....one has the PTO and the other one does not..if your interested....

in ending if you think you must have the 5-C endmill drivers...I think you will have to make them yourself...nice bonding time for you and your dad.

Mick Martin

"...collets usually do a good job for "scratching" and that is all you are really going to do with the Hardinge Mill. "

I've taken a teeny bit more than 100 thou at a whack, in aluminum, using end mills.
Had the entire screaming 3/4 hp applied right to the workpiece. :) :)

You have to work darn hard to suck and end mill out of a 5C collet in that machine,
powered as it is. 3/8 hp on the low speed range, it is.

Jim

5C End Mill Holders

I think the title says most of it. I'm trying to tool up my dad's horizontal hardinge mill. I'd like to find a couple solid holders that will fit in the 5c spindle of his mill. I want them so that endmills will be very secure. I'm going to give him some indexable endmills in 1/2, 3/4, and 1" shanks. They won't be for hogging material, just skim facing. I figured this would be the forum with the most expertise on these machines, and hopefully someone here knows where to find these tools. I'm also open to suggestions, I just don't see a 5c collet holding anything over a 1/2" endmill very securely.

Thanks much
Rosie
I just acquired three Weldon Tool Co. End mill Holders with 5C shanks. Sizes are 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8". I've never seen before and I've been around quite a while. They are in very good condition and I can easily clean-up and send photo if you're still interested. There obviously is not much demand for these. If you are still interested I'll almost give them to you if you'll pay the shipping. Neil Butterfield may be best to call me, 602-944-8589

I just acquired three Weldon Tool Co. End mill Holders with 5C shanks. Sizes are 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8". I've never seen before and I've been around quite a while. They are in very good condition and I can easily clean-up and send photo if you're still interested. There obviously is not much demand for these. If you are still interested I'll almost give them to you if you'll pay the shipping. Neil Butterfield may be best to call me, 602-944-8589

Rosie has not posted on PM since January, 2016.

As I said in post #2, I have the 1/2 and 5/8, but I would be glad to buy your 3/8 Weldon 5C end mill holder.

Larry

5c end mill holders

I'm tooling up a recently acquired Hardinge UM mill and would like to buy your 5c end mill holders if still available.
Jared

Back