What's new
What's new

Low voltage J head wiring

southy

Plastic
Hi, I have recently purchased a Bridgeport (Adock & Shipley) J head, to get it running I have opted for a VFD (2hp TECO/Westinghouse).

The reading I had done prior to purchasing the VFD was that the pancake style motors were dual voltage, in my case I require it to be supplied by 240v.
I have come to the point of getting it wired and thought I would check what voltage the motor was set up for, now this is where it is a little confusing. I had anticipated 9 wires coming from the drum switch to the motor but I have 6?
I am missing the spec plate of the motor so I cannot give you anymore details other then the picture I have supplied.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!! I'm crossing my fingers I am able to use the VFD I have purchased to get it running!

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Looks more like a dual speed constant torque motor. The drum switch selects between hi/low and reverse hi/low usually. You can search "bridgeport VFD" for examples of what to do. You will have to pick hi or low speed and use the VFD to drive it.

The 3 brown wires (Pic #4) are the 3ph supply input, right? Use the VFD output to drive these input lines. Select a range with the drum switch and leave it alone. Use the VFD controls for any on/off, speed control and reversing. Moving the drum switch with the VFD on will make for an unhappy VFD.

I don't reall know Aus. voltages but my previous words assume that the motor is in the 208-230V range. If its a 4xx or 5xx vac motor then your outta luck or you need a transformer to match voltages. You could take the motor off and get it tested at a rewind shop for a reasonable charge? Gotta hate it when the id plate is removed for a paint job and then never gets reinstalled.

Thanks for the reply weedy,

As far as wiring it in to work, that is not the problem, I think I have read every VFD Bridgeport thread in existence. lol
You are correct with the drum switch from memory when it was briefly running before I brought it home it was a HI/LO switch.

Ideally it will be fed by 240V.

Is there a way to tell externally that the motor is wound or able to be ran on 240V or if it is wound for 415-440V only? that would save me a bit of hassle. Or I will take it off and find a shop that can re wind it..

How many variations of these motors were there?

The joys of buying old second hand equipment.. I wouldn't have it any other way!

By "externally" I should ave said visually (without testing) I understand motor covers will have to come off to expose stator/rotor

The dual voltage three phase motor achieves this by changing the connections of the windings into either a Star or Delta connection. You need to use your continuity tester to establish which wires are the ends of each winding and then connect them accordingly. However I would strongly suggest you get some professional help.

Yes but how does one determine if the motor is "dual voltage"?
I can gather testing each wire to find out which coil each one is connected to, but that does not help me If it is a single voltage motor.

From what I have read though a 6Lead 3Ph motor is usually single voltage, BUT some have been known to be dual..
I can swap it over to Delta and hope for the best but I don't really want to just hope, I would really like to determine if the motor is capable of running on the lower voltage or if I have to source another.

Without a name plate or details I'm running a little blind.. Especially having limited knowledge on the subject

If you have six leads out of a three phase motor you have (unless it is something special) access to each winding - if you connect those windings either in Star or Delta you can use the motor either on low or high voltage. Without a rating plate you cannot tell what those voltages could be. Your machine looks as though it was made in the UK so there is a good chance it was fitted with a 240/415 volt motor however without a rating plate you are in the dark and guessing. As I recommended previously get some professional help before you do something that could get you hurt.

Any luck with your project?

I just noticed in your pictures that your drum switch is rated at 300V so that kinda makes it 240V or less motor. Unless its an incorrect repair part.

Back