What's new
What's new

lubrication for my 1928 hardinge cataract

kchapman99

Plastic
So, I'm a little behind on my time estimate to get it back up and running, but I should be starting to reassembly it in 1-2 weeks, any suggestions on what kind of lube to use during reassembly? what to use once it is up and running?

thanks

I don't know to much about older machines but gear oil for like 4x4 outomobile transfer cases would seem like a viable option. Also there's a company called the daubert chemical company that makes a lubricant called nox-rust. It's made for lubricating metal for a long period of time and it would be good for components that are exposed and at more risk of rusting. Don't quote me on the gear oil because I'm new to machining (cnc) but these are something you could check out. I suggested gear oil because it has a viscous texture and it successfully lubricates transfer cases and rear differentials and is highly resistant to friction and heat.

Regarding I own a Schaublin lathe, Swiss made in the 1950's, using cone bearings.
I know Hardinge Cataract machines from the 1940's also use such bearings.
I also own a 1903 Hardinge Cataract milling machine, using cone bearings.
For my lathe, the Swiss literature from that era is recommending a specific viscosity, 3º Engler at 50ºC. I trust this could apply to any cone bearing application.
That translate to SAE 10W. (see http://www.nadi.it/english/viscosita.htm)
I found Velocite oil #10 to be the best match. It is specifically formulated as a spindle oil: See https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Industrial/pds/GLXXMobil-Velocite-Oil-No-Series
I got a pint at Amazon for about 7$.
Also found Kanolabs Microil to be a very good oil for fine mechanical components.

Somebody familiar with that machine should give advice here : "gear oil" is often aggressive to brass and might not be best for that vintage.

I don't know to much about older machines but gear oil for like 4x4 outomobile transfer cases would seem like a viable option.

Better stick with 4X4s. Most automotive lubricants can be very detrimental to machine tools. Stated many time before.
If Larry gets in this thread, he'd probably know what was recommended for that machine.
JR

Better stick with 4X4s. Most automotive lubricants can be very detrimental to machine tools. Stated many time before.
If Larry gets in this thread, he'd probably know what was recommended for that machine.
JR

Ahh, but does he know what actual present-day users of that machine are using? (other than himself of course)

Nshop5.jpg

Mobil One, 0W20

I know Hardinge Cataract machines from the 1940's also use such bearings.

I think Hardinge gave up on sleeve bearings in the 1920's. They were an early & apparently enthusiastic adopter of ball bearings everywhere (gearbox, leadscrew, leadscrews on cross slides, etc) My 40's machines certainly have ball bearings.

That said, I don't really know if the change coincided with the move to Elmira in '31, or if they were already using them in Chicago. Think I have at least one, maybe 2 Chicago era BB headstock second op lathes, but not 100% positive the headstocks and beds left the factory together.

smt

Back