What's new
What's new

MillPWR Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeToolmaker

Aluminum
I just took delivery of an older (early 90's) Bridgeport with a MillPWR 2 axis control. It was working fine. I powered it down. It sat for A week or so then up in attempting power up, it have me an error.Something about it a communication problem with the keyboard and to press F1 to continue. The control doesn't have an F1 key so I powered down to re-boot. When I try to bring it back up, it beeps 10 times then pauses then beeps 10 times again and repeats this cycle. I have tried powering down and up several times with the same result. Is this an alarm? Is it possible that a battery died and I lost my start up procedure? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Last edited:
I was able to get my unit powered up. Unfortunately, it keeps giving me an error.I have attached a couple pictures of what I have. PLEASE help.

Thanks,0510151032.jpgATT_1431271164562_0415151639a.jpg

I have no knowledge of this control. It may be possible the batteries died and you lost the start up procedure. Have you opened the panel and wiggled the cables to the keyboard to see if it is just a bad connection to the keyboard? Id make sure all boards and connections are seated properly and giver another go, see what happens. The damn thing may be broke but you just had it up to other day, seems odd. Good luck sorry I couldn't be of more help..

Brent

THank you! I just checked connections etc. The error is reading a CMOS mismatch. I put in the start up disc but it wont even try to run without pressing F1 and I dont have an F1 on my keyboard. All I have to plug into the control is an rs-232 port and I dont have a keyboard with an rs-232 plug. Do they make one? Thanks

It looks as though you have white soft keys that aren't labeled underneath the crt screen my "GUESS" is F1 is the first one. Can you see any indication of old worn off labeling on the soft keys?

I take it that it didn't come with a manual? Bummer..

They may make a keyboard with a RS232 connection but I doubt it. I'd get me a used laptop that is setup with a RS232 communication port on it but a far as I know its just used to transfer data/programs back and fourth. You'll also have to find some communication program to use for transferring programs, not to big of a deal. Hopefully one of the Bridgeport guys will be along soon to say all of what I said was bullshit and get you going in right direction.:D

Brent

Gave it a try...didn't do it. I do have an operation manual but other than actual operation once the control is up, it's pretty vague. I also tried the cycle start button. the use button as well as the enter key. No dice. We'll get it. Thanks!

If you open the cabinet where the mother board is, you'll probably fin the connector where the keyboard plugs in. You should be able to plug in a normal keyboard their to be able to reset your CMOS settings. It's possible that your CMOS battery may have died causing your CMOS settings to become corrupt.

Mitch

Thank you! I've got batteries on their way . While I'm waiting, I'll open up the cabinet and see if I can find the plug. There will be an actual spot to plug in the keyboard?

Good morning,

The Keyboard wont plug into the controller, it plugs into the bottom side of the motherboard in the control cabinet in the back. You need one of the smaller round keyboard connections on your keyboard for it to work. If you change the battery and adjust the CMOS settings and you still get an error, you need a new hard drive. I am a supplier for Solid State hard drives for the old black and white MillPWRs and can get you one.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

AWESOME! Thank you all so much! I just happen to have a keyboard with that connection. H W, could you send me your contact info? Really hoping she comes back up, but.....

If that doesnt work might contact Electro-Mechanical Integrators
Like others said, I would say your CMOS battery is dead, mine was when I first got mine going, and if you can get a keyboard input you can probably sort it. Also EMI has manuals and that may be a huge help if you cant find them online.

Hope you get it going and put it to good use soon, should be a good machine.

Woohoo!!! Thanks guys! Get her goin! It was the CMOS battery. I changed it, plugged in the keyboard to the port furthest in to the back of the control on the mother board. Entered the settings by pressing delete while the control was booting up and re-set the date and time , set the keyboard as not present, and had to go into the next menu and re-accept the existing parameters of the master board,then exit and save the conditions. (in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread that has an older MillPWR control) Thank you all so much!:D

Well, my mill has been working well. Since my last post, I have had to replace my monitor. My choices were a used console on an online auction for $450+ or a new 19" monitor. I opted for the latter. Recently, I noticed the rubber shield on my x-axis scale is ripping out. I have been making an effort to keep it clean and prolong life but she is just old. Are those shields/wipers replaceable? If I end up replacing the whole scale, will I need to re-set the machine x home position or is that a built in reference point in the new scale?

Thank you!!!

Anyone have experience with cleaning scales? My Z progressively reads a larger and larger negative number every time I move it up and down and now my Y is acting up. I will make a .010 adjustment of my datum and it will not change. I think they are dirty?

I'm back! Help...please!😰 My machine has been running great then kaput. It just stopped in the middle of a cut. The moniter has an alarm at the bottom saying I pressed the table stop, but I did not. I powered down the machine and rebooted. When I did, it prompted me to press f1 to continue so I plugged in the keyboard and did. It made it as far as the Acu-rite screen with please wait prompt then started beeping 4 beeps...pause...2 more beeps. Then repeats . I think I blew a servo fuse on my x feed motor but I don't know where it is or where to get replacements? Any help would be great!!!

Would have tried to help if I had been on here earlier, but I have been in new zealand working on 2 MP2 controllers.

What help/advice did you get?

jon
H&W Machine Repair

Oh, no sweat! New Zealand?! Wow , I'll bet that was a nice job!
My apologies, because I thought I had posted an update. The error code I was getting on the 1st gen MillPWR (4 beeps pause 1 beep pause 1 beep...repeat ) is loss of communication between operator console and control. My data cable wiggled loose! Kind of embarrassing, but quick and painless fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back