What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo DRO Scale

Pottsie454

Plastic
Hello all,

I purchased my first mill and it came with a Mitutoyo DRO but the x axis was broke. The gentleman that I bought it from gave me a scale he thought might work but never tried to install it. The new scale is a Anilam. Can this be done, and how to hell do I figure out how to wire it? Ive searched, but nothing conclusive, and I am afraid if I wire it wrong I could break the new scale.

Thanks, Pictures below for reference.

Mitutoyo DRO
20150328_102632.jpg

Broken Scale
20150328_102400.jpg

New Scale
20150328_102440.jpg

20150328_102447.jpg

moon light, as far as my research has led me, mitutoyo doesnt make this scale anymore, or a direct replacement. Last resort I will have to buy a new system or a used scale.

Jazz, 52 inch is nearly a foot to long for my 42 inch bridgeport. Can a scale be cut down? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, because I currently am. Im just starting out in the machining realm and this is the first DRO I have ever used.

Yes a glass scale can be cut...
I offer the warning it isnt a hard task just mostly hard on the nerves....

You should look for the right scale and only cut one if you cant find the correct scale.

Look on ebay you might find something usable...

I have an old Mitutoyo DRO and recently had my scales apart for cleaning. The electronics part on the Anilam looks quite a bit different than what I recall seeing inside my Mitutoyo. I'd be surprised if they will work, unless Anilam happens to be made by Mitutoyo. As far as cutting down a longer scale, that would be tricky business. The aluminum channel part could be cut pretty easily, but the glass scale would be difficult to cleanly cut without breaking the whole thing and ruining it (unless you have the special skills and knowledge to do it). Personally I would sell the longer one and just hunt around on ebay until a scale that was right for your machine popped up. The Mitutoyo DRO head that came with my mill was non functional. But I found a used replacement for less than a $100 on ebay and it works great. I'm sure you can find a similar or better deal on ebay for the correct slide you need.

You can cut the long scale. Cut the aluminum cannel carefully slide the excess off. then cut the glass. it may not cut evenly but it doesn't matter because it is at the end and the reader never travels that far. finally clean the glass with alcohol and lint free wipes. you could also clean the reader head with alcohol.

You can cut the long scale. Cut the aluminum cannel carefully slide the excess off. then cut the glass. it may not cut evenly but it doesn't matter because it is at the end and the reader never travels that far. finally clean the glass with alcohol and lint free wipes. you could also clean the reader head with alcohol.

Not really a difficult task, I've done it. I used a diamond wheel on a dremel, and make sure you keep it cool during the cut. It is easier than preparing the mount on the newly cut extruded encasement: drilling and tapping very small holes. There are some Youtube videos out there to help, one by TinkerJohn, who cut his with a hacksaw and got very lucky in not breaking the scale.

Dan L

Back