What's new
What's new

Motor Replacement Spindle Length

derek_bartram

Plastic
Hi all,

I'm looking at replacing the motor and variator on my lathe - to make it a little more affordable, I'm also going to swap the motor on the mill for an identical sized (but 2 pole) one, and sell my Transwave 3ph converter. I'll then be powering both the lathe and mill off a single VFD, swapping over between the machines (but being careful the VFD is always off when I do!).

Pete Moss at Transwave has been immensely helpful with the VFD/motor side of life, however I'm trying to figure out how the logistics will actually work in terms of motor fit on the mill.

The current fit is via a plate with the motor being bolted on practically at the outside of the shaft (i.e. bolts parallel to shaft but also very close to shaft) - the new motor will be a B5 face mount (most likely). I can replace the old plate with a new one, with the appropriate mounting holes for B5... however all the shaft of 90L type motors are 50mm long. Generously, that would mean that only around 25mm of the shaft would be inside the pulley.

Given this will be a 3PH motor, running at up to 2800rpm, is this a) enough, and b) safe?

[as an aside, does anyone have a Jaguar VXR VFD here - what do you think of it]

Thanks for the advice, any suggestions would be appreciated.

You should put the model of your lathe before "motor". Very misleading post.
JR

Sorry, not sure how it's misleading. It's a question about spindle lengths of the motor replacement for the mill - I'm not sure how/why the lathe model is relevant.

Back