What's new
What's new

No oil zerks

wtroger

Plastic
My bridgeport (1964) doesn't have oil zerks it has screw in thing with a ball in the center how are you supposed to get oil in these.

There is a special oiler used to put oil through those fittings. I have a couple of the special oilers that we use to oil up our Index-Werke DG-12's that have the same type of fitting. Unfortunately I'm not sure what these special oilers are called I just know what they look like.

Take them out put zerks in. If there not threaded, thread , I have them on my clausing lathe, there a pain usually more oil on the housing than in the fitting.

Pumping through a couple of layers of shop wipe or cloth, pick something which won't disintegrate, usually gives a good enough seal for an ordinary pump type oil can to work adequately on flush fitting ball oilers providing the passages behind are clear and not too long. Worth a try as first cut but most likely pipes are both too long and partially clogged.

When you fit zerks get the proper oil gun to match the fitting. Not worth mucking about converting a cheap grease gun into an oil gun as described in many internet how-to descriptions. Real thing is probably less than 3 time price of a bottom end grease gun of the type usually chosen to convert and works out of the box. Difficult bit is finding one as they aren't off the shelf at the auto-parts places or big box store.

Clive

Last edited:
Thanks for all the reply's the ball oilers are threaded I will see they are 1/8 inch pipe. and replace with standard zerks and come up with a way to pump in oil. once again thanks.

1/8 inch pipe zerks fit. installed them and then I found an old porta-power pump I had laying around and filled it with way oil put on a Zerk head and flexible hose. Worked like champ none of the passages where plugged. All took oil real easy.

1/8 inch pipe zerks fit. installed them and then I found an old porta-power pump I had laying around and filled it with way oil put on a Zerk head and flexible hose. Worked like champ none of the passages where plugged. All took oil real easy.

Just received the other day from H & W Machine a push & lube gun full of way lube. Works just fine on my zerk plugs on my 1 1/2 bridgeport. I think only was around twenty dollars. And easy to refill.

Thanks for that, Todd.

Link is here for those in need, as it needed a search once on-site:

"Push" Lube Pump for Zerk Base

Was JUST about to order one when I realized that on my 'Quartet' mill, a small, but significant percentage of the 'many' oil-Zerks are at angles or locations I'd not be able to get at properly with that item, so I'll stick with my squeeze-pumper mod.

Bill
That would be perfect but it's to rich for my blood. cost $25-29 now and shipping to AZ was $15. For me $45 is to much to pay for this tool. I don't have a BP as I'm in a wheelchair and it's to difficult to reach all the controls so I had to settle for a smaller bench mill. I got the PM 25mv a few months ago. Now I'm trying to get all the gear needed to keep her running. What other oiler would work with the ball oiler fittings? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

James,

A couple of things that will save you from forum flames:

First, it is VERY bad form to revive an old thread. Much better to start a new thread.

Second, before you start or respond to any threads, please read the "stickies" at the top of the General forum, concerning what topics are appropriate here and how threads should be titled. In summary, hobby-level machines cannot be discussed here ("bench top mill" certainly sounds likely to be in that category), and topic titles need to be specific enough that they can be found easily using a search. The owner is very, very insistent on these rules, because this is intended to meet the needs of professional machinists. (There are already several other forums focused on home/hobby machinists.) The result of these rules is a forum that is (mostly) 10x to 100x better than any other forum, in terms of the level of machining knowledge that is available. Note that it is fine for us hobby users with our unmentionable machinery to participate; we just need to ask our questions in a way that avoid focus on the hobby machinery. So, asking for a specific recommendation for a ball oiler for hard-to-reach spots is perfectly fine. Asking how to oil a Rong-Fu mill will get the thread locked in a hurry.

After all that ... here is an answer to your question: I find that a "pressure oiler" works fine for my unmentionable mill, something along these lines:

Tooluxe 9 Oz High Pressure Oiler for Lubricants - Power Tool Lubricants - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: New 25�cc Transparent High Pressure Pump Oiler Lubrication Oil Can Plastic Machine Oiler Grease 245mm Length flex Gun: Automotive

I would pull the machine apart and clean off all the crud a good preventative maintenance procedure, you learn the guts of the machine and then if you need to tap the holes do that then and not now as the chips from the tap will drop down onto the ways. Pulling apart the Bridgeport is easy and I bet you will have some fun if you never done it. There are several You Tube show on "How to". In all my years I have never seen those ball type push buttons on a Bridgeport. Someone must have done that before you bought it. If you want to really do it right buy a lube system from one of the part houses and retrofit it with a pump, oil lines and metering units.

A picture of yours would help. Or look at the pictures of the lube fittings and tell us which one you have.

They come as a kit to convert the oil jerks to pump lube.

I found this link on oilers. Oil Hole Cups and Covers | GITS Manufacturing | Page 2

and this is who I buy my Bridgeport parts from and there is the H & (forgot their name).

If you need some help assembling it i will gladly help over the phone.
Rich

BIJUR LUBRICATION SYSTEM 9 PT LUBE KIT WITH PUMP

Rich

Back