What's new
What's new

Opinions on Bridgeport Variable Speed Mill with quick change spindle

landrand

Plastic
I come across this Bridgeport variable speed mill that I am interested in buying. The owner is asking $2,950 for the mill. I spent some time researching the mill and I believe it is the J head with the Erickson Quick Change 30 spindle. Here's more info provided in the for sale ad:

"for sale is a nice 1 1/2 hp Bridgeport mill variable speed, motor and head run very quite and smooth. 9 x 42" table is in very nice condition with no holes. table nuts have about .022 play on dial. this has a upgraded spindle with quick change, not r8. motor is 230 v 3 ph the mill is a 1972 model"

Unfortunatetly, I am brand spankin new to milling and don't plan to use the machine in a business environment. I own a sawmill, have a small farm, and like to work on heavy equipment/trucks so I anticipate using it for various hobby type functions in my shop when I retire in a couple of years. I have never used a milling machine before so I have plenty of learning to do.

What are your opinions of this mill for a newbie? What are the benefits/drawbacks of the quick change spindle? Does the $2,950 asking price seem reasonable?

Bp1.jpgBp2.jpgBp3.jpgBP4.jpgBP5.jpg

I come across this Bridgeport variable speed mill that I am interested in buying. The owner is asking $2,950 for the mill. I spent some time researching the mill and I believe it is the J head with the Erickson Quick Change 30 spindle. Here's more info provided in the for sale ad:

"for sale is a nice 1 1/2 hp Bridgeport mill variable speed, motor and head run very quite and smooth. 9 x 42" table is in very nice condition with no holes. table nuts have about .022 play on dial. this has a upgraded spindle with quick change, not r8. motor is 230 v 3 ph the mill is a 1972 model"

Unfortunatetly, I am brand spankin new to milling and don't plan to use the machine in a business environment. I own a sawmill, have a small farm, and like to work on heavy equipment/trucks so I anticipate using it for various hobby type functions in my shop when I retire in a couple of years. I have never used a milling machine before so I have plenty of learning to do.

What are your opinions of this mill for a newbie? What are the benefits/drawbacks of the quick change spindle? Does the $2,950 asking price seem reasonable?

View attachment 228262View attachment 228263View attachment 228264View attachment 228265View attachment 228266
quick change tool holders are in general more expensive
quick change has more steep taper and as you tighten the Z of tool tip changes very little. older R8 collets had more gradual taper so as you tighten the tool tip Z changes as collet pulled in tighter
R8 collet has little setscrew key that keeps collet from spinning. often see it damaged and need replacement cause somebody using big flycutter cutting steel or stainless and the whack whack of cutting near motor stall point damaged the setscrew key that keeps collet from spinning
so quick change is more expensive but more heavy duty and more precise stable Z of tool tip in general. if you have 6 tools setup in 6 separate holders as you put them in spindle they repeat Z much better taking in and out of spindle

I anticipate using it for various hobby type functions in my shop when I retire in a couple of years. I have never used a milling machine before so I have plenty of learning to do.

1. You can buy the mill now and start learning now. Probably some things will need to be adjusted and fixed. Good use of time.
2. You can buy the mill now and store it away until you retire. By that time you might see a better deal and regret the purchase. You would have wasted two years of learning.
3. You can shop around some more in the next two years. It will waste learning time but a better deal may appear.
You might be able to get something a little cleaner, but in my opinion the time can be spent cleaning up this machine or another one.
4. Anything can be purchased/rebuilt/transported if you have the money and patience.

For the purchase:
Chrome ways
medium length table
oiler
variable speed

Against the purchase:
picture dated more than two years ago, has it been for sale that long?

Verdict:
Typical price point. If mills do not appear in your area often then buy it. It would be better to see it in person before purchase.

Just a few things

Did you check the serial number to confirm the age? The base looks older than the head. Without a closer inspection, it's also hard to tell what is missing besides the way wiper.

Erickson quick change are nice, but for a newby, you're going to spend a lot of money on holders. Just be aware!
Here are some links: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/tooling-erickson-30-mill-250453/
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/erickson-quick-change-30-tooling-information-316003/

You will probably spend about that much money on tooling if you didn't realize. This ain't no cheap hobby!
Drill chuck + holder, boring head + holder, vise, hold downs, end mills, ER collet holders (probably 2 or 3). That's the basic stuff and I'm at about the cost of the mill.

Do you have 3 phase power to run the mill on? If not, you'll need a VFD.
Have you listened to the mill run? Variable speed BPs are notorious for knocking when the bushings are worn out.
That's about all that I can think of at the moment.
JR

Thanks for the info! Here's a few answers to some posters questions:

- I have 3 phase power via a rotary phase converter.

- I haven't talked to the owner yet. I wanted to consult you guys before talking to him.

- I think the mill has only been recently listed. I've been watching craigslist in the area and haven't seen it before. Also, I live in a remote area (Marquette, MI) and usually I'd have to drive 5 to 8 hours to get a decent mill.

- The mill is about an hour away so I can easily take a ride to check it out. The problem is, I'm not sure what I need to do to determine if there's any issues with the mill. I believe the mill is powered up and can be run.

- I'm still trying to understand the Erickson quick change QC30 thingy. I've watched several video's so it's starting to make sense. According to another post I read, one member indicated that "the Erickson QC30 is the second most productive thing you can do to a BP, following only a DRO in value". Sounds like the QC30 would be a desirable option.

QC30 is nice, but not necesary. I'd much rather have a DRO than the quick change. I bought my mill new and could have ordered the QC option at the time. Then, it was the same money as the DRO or the X-axis power feed. I bought both of them. I've worked in a lot of shops over the years and only a very few have had QC on a BP. Just a matter of taste. There are some guys that have power drawbars. Same thing. I've got drawers full of new end mills instead. It's just what you want to spend your money on.
JR

- I'm still trying to understand the Erickson quick change QC30 thingy. I've watched several video's so it's starting to make sense. According to another post I read, one member indicated that "the Erickson QC30 is the second most productive thing you can do to a BP, following only a DRO in value". Sounds like the QC30 would be a desirable option.

"Most productive" IF you are doing production... because even on a manual mill, you can preset all your tools, and quickly change from the spotting drill, to the twist drill, to the c.sink, to the reamer, over and over and over again. That is, if you have enough tool holders.

But, for one off work, a lot of that advantage goes away. Yes, the QC-30 stuff is more ridged, but not particularly any faster or easier to deal with when using random tools.

Dennis

Back