What's new
What's new

Please help me identify this grinding fixture?

itsmeBernie

Hot Rolled
Good Afternoon PM Folks

I recently purchased this 5C, multi-axis manual indexing fixture.

It is marked 360° on two axes, with vernier markings for minutes, if I’m not mistaken.
The 5C collet will turn with the large aluminum crank by the base, or with the release of a pin, it will turn like a spin fixture near the back of the collet when a handle is added.

The only markings on it say:
Tool Specialties Co
Hillside, NY
W Germany

The box has the name “Whirl-Dex” on top made with one of those old style dymo label makers.

Searching any of these terms and any other terms listed above has brought absolutely nothing to me on Google.

I’m not even sure what to call this thing? I know what it’s for, that’s why bought it. I would love to have a little more information so I can take full advantage of it’s capabilities.

******Most importantly, I still have access to the home and the person who I purchased it from, I would like to check for any accessories I could attach to it, or I could purchase or find at their home. I see a place on top to mount some type of device or fixture, I would love to know what belongs up there!

If anyone has any advice, tips, or a clue what I can call this thing so I can Google more effectively, I would appreciate it!

Here are the terms I have searched:

-"Tool specialties co" Hillside, New York 147
-5c collet whirl-dex grind center fixture
-5c collet omni-dex grind center fixture
-5c collet spin fixture triple multi axis
-"Tool specialties co" Hillside, NY 147 w germany
-5c collet whirl-dex grind fixture 147 w germany
-5c collet spin fixture triple multi axis 147 w germany

Bernie

d4a2bbbee6867770c4ac82cdfb59e3e8.jpg

48c9cf276839111942c264072784ba7e.jpg

a02a90321ec623fdc50d66301d2b5268.jpg

4ba3e3927db25772799661a07d91ddda.jpg

Bernie

The very name is cross-contaminated, Bernie:

http://www.riverroadmachinery.com/images/virtuemart/product/RR 251 Whirldex Grinding Fixture, b.jpg

Walter one of the firms who COULD build such goods. Casting are too nice, total investment too dear to want to believe it was but a garage shop, but it very well could be. German machine tool folk don't really do "half-vast' very often.

Probably need a google.de jump-off for the search and a German Machinist to even tell you what nomenclature to apply for search terms.

Good hunting!

I'm not familiar with the one you have posted but it is a very similar design to an All-Tool Rotadex. I don't own one but have used them and they are very nice. One might be a lose copy of the other. I don't think All-Tool is still around.

Andy

I'm not familiar with the one you have posted but it is a very similar design to an All-Tool Rotadex. I don't own one but have used them and they are very nice. One might be a lose copy of the other. I don't think All-Tool is still around.

Andy

Close. Not sure there is a cigar.

Google Image Result for http://www.stakelumofficesupplies.ie/storefront/template/2/images/ink-toner-wizard.png

Does give an idea as to possible uses for that top-plate though:

Google Image Result for http://www.stakelumofficesupplies.ie/storefront/template/2/images/ink-toner-wizard.png

I have an old wherl Dex out in the shop but the op’s device looks like for grinding reamers and step reamer between centers.. The top holes likely for a snap finger arm to locate a flute..the base protractor and joint for roll and tilt clearance back –off and for the tool end angle..
We had some Tool Specialties Co fixtures at the big shop but not that one. Looks very handy.. one could roll (butter fly) a cutter to circle grind the form needed and then come in at clearance to bring clearance to land and then to sharp.
Guess I would call it a tool and cutter grinding fixture or reamer grinding fixture..

CNC grinder now do this kind of work but it would still be handy for one or few ups.. for the guy making specials or one who did not have a CNC or TC grinder in house. If I was still making and sharpening I would love to have it.

Maybe I'm all wet, but could it be used to grind or sharpen a spiral relief like a drill bit flute. Looks like one could use a small belt on that hand wheel to keep all motions in sync..... thoughts?

*This is JRs post don't know how it got my name...

OK, Tool specialties was an importer / catalog sales in the 60s and 70s. Like a Rutlage or early ENCO. They sold a little of everything for your shop. They went the way of 1,000 other places like them.

I've sure they imported from the Germans and put their tag on it. Harig had the "Grind-All" ,the Spin-Dexer, and the Air-Flo. Weldon was also big in that stuff for a long time.

The bolt pattern is so that it can be mounted to a tool&cutter grinder. Does it have air bearings? If not, it won't be worth a shit on grinding endmill sides.
JR

Last edited:
I have no Idea JR...

"post "9 is not my post"

but it does look like a post of mine is missing..

QT: JR: {Does it have air bearings? If not, it won't be worth a shit on grinding end mill sides.} agree to that unless they have centers..

The very name is cross-contaminated, Bernie:

http://www.riverroadmachinery.com/images/virtuemart/product/RR 251 Whirldex Grinding Fixture, b.jpg

Walter one of the firms who COULD build such goods. Casting are too nice, total investment too dear to want to believe it was but a garage shop, but it very well could be. German machine tool folk don't really do "half-vast' very often.

Probably need a google.de jump-off for the search and a German Machinist to even tell you what nomenclature to apply for search terms.

Good hunting!

Thanks Monarchist!

Just making sure I wasn’t missing something or losing my own mind ha ha

I really like your idea of searching google.de! Didn’t even cross my mind! I got a remember that trick more often!

Don’t know why was marked incorrectly, as the interior of the box is set up perfectly for this fixture. Even it’s accessories.

Bernie

Andy

Thanks Andy,

At first glance it sure looks close. I will get home to my laptop and take a closer look and compare them. Definitely much closer than I was with that name! That’s the one I couldn’t remember

Bernie

I have an old wherl Dex out in the shop but the op’s device looks like for grinding reamers and step reamer between centers.. The top holes likely for a snap finger arm to locate a flute..the base protractor and joint for roll and tilt clearance back –off and for the tool end angle..
We had some Tool Specialties Co fixtures at the big shop but not that one. Looks very handy.. one could roll (butter fly) a cutter to circle grind the form needed and then come in at clearance to bring clearance to land and then to sharp.
Guess I would call it a tool and cutter grinding fixture or reamer grinding fixture..

CNC grinder now do this kind of work but it would still be handy for one or few ups.. for the guy making specials or one who did not have a CNC or TC grinder in house. If I was still making and sharpening I would love to have it.

Thanks Buck, I just learned an arm full,

That makes a lot of sense, and the bottom plate definitely a set up for A tool and cutter grinder. The action on the handle is pretty heavy for an accurate grinding operation. Don’t know if this was meant to have grease injected in those holes, someone included one of those tecalumut (sp?) style guns with GREASE in it. I know that summer meant for Greece, and something should have grease, but can’t help but notice that this thing is very slow and gooey.

Are use a different kind of mine to try to press some light spindle oil in there, to loosen things up.
Anyone have an opinion on whether or not I should open this up and gut it, clear out the grease and just oil it up? That would be my only complaint about it right now.
Does look like it’s missing a piece or two, or maybe just an accessory or two that didn’t come with it.

I appreciate all of your help, I definitely have more google-fodder!

Would only say it is missing a snap finger bar off the top.. and a steady that would be a bar off the top having a bore that centers to the spindle for a standard size bushing so to hold the out end of a reamer or other cutting tool for end sharpening..
Yes it can even facet grind, and split point sharpen drills with using that bushing.

The drill or reamer can drill or ream the needed steady bushings and they need only be made of CRS..
likely pull the out centers assembly for end only sharpening.

The more I think about it the more I think it a very handy device.

Feinpruf of Germany made some fancy fixtures but don't remember that one.

Satin Chrome and that finish look more like the 60s

Hi, I wonder if it is a type of geared head to run the flutes of end mills(poss. spiral roughers) many end mills have the "lead" on the shank. You could plug that number into the work head and it could spin the cutter in the proper rotational plane to the grinding wheel. I cheat. My mentor developed a way for me to run spiral roughers in an air-bearing, that delivers excellent results.
Have a great day.
Tim

Is the label a part of the casting? if not then likely tool spec. imported it and put their name on it..

It was just stamped on, and it was not done in the same font or with the same force as “W Germany”.
Definitely a licensed or rebranded tool. I will have to use the google.de search advise to find the original

Bernie

Don't think I would take it apart.. add some quality oil and work that into the grease may be OK.
Take care to not get abrasive into it as abrasive is likely to be on the threads of anything you open. Turn it upside down when pulling anything and take care to clean the threads in upside down position. (Perhaps using a Q tip so to drag any abrasive dust and the some grease out)

Just thinking the bushing bar need not be made but use the the out board center steady as a small bushing holder..
or make a similar device as the out board center steady in a size good for holding standard or home made bushings.
Yes for grinding part ends or parts that don't have an out end center.

yes..and have a straight shank center to fit into a collet for holding a centered reamer or tool at the but end.

using such a device as that fixture one might have a wedge of sorts to bump against the out board area so grinding would make few vibrations.
Old trick also for that is a wad of children's modeling clay squeezed to a fixture or to a long thin tool to be ground..that just to keep vibrations out of the grinding.

Last edited:
....those tecalumut (sp?) style guns with GREASE in it. I know that summer meant for Greece, and something should have grease.....

I don't want to distract from the point of this thread, but "summer meant for Greece"? Are you using some sort of voice to text functionality on a device of some sort? Or was that intentional?

Back