What's new
What's new

Power Quill Feed Question - Series I Mill

kjones95206

Plastic
I just got my Bridgeport Series I, 2 HP mill running and I'm going through my self tests to assess what works and what doesn't. Everything works great... except, I could not get the Feed Reverse Knob to move from neutral (center position) to either the up direction (out position) or the down direction (in position). It's my understanding that the collar on the the Feed Reverse Knob next to the head should rotate either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the feed direction. I can feel some movement of the Feed Reverse Knob it won't engage in or out. My collar is not rotating despite me having engaged the Power Feed Engagement Crank.
Any help would be appreciated!

From your description it sounds like it might be that the set screw 116 is turned in too far. It puts pressure on the spring 174 so the ball 173 will hold in the detent position for forward, neutral, and reverse.

Feed 4~.JPG
John

There are several engagement settings on the BP that can require a little wiggling of the relevant mechanism (spindle, feed) to slip into gear. I don't recall off the top of my head if this is one of them ... ? (I haven't had occasion yet to use the power feed - I've only tested to make sure it works on my new-to-me Series I - but that's been a while back.)

Collar will not rotate with the push/pull knob in the center position,rotates only when the internal dog clutch is engaged . If the mill has been setting for a while gummy oil can cause the shaft to stick and not want to shift.My cure is hose that area down with some brake clean and then I use ATF to lube it. ATF seems to do a real good job of softness/dissolving old gummy oil. Have been known to LIGHTLY tap the end of the knob a bit also.

Won't brake cleaner eat the paint? I generally start with something like WD-40 first - not as aggressive, but doesn't bother the paint ...

Ain't no paint on the feed control shaft ! And in my experience brake clean does not bother original BP paint. Besides which is more important paint or a working feed ?:)I have a friend that is a new/used machine tool dealer and I tune up-check out the used machines he gets in. Dried out gummy oil/coolant causes most of the issues in the feed control area. I also find that ATF or Marvel Mistery oil works MUCH better than WD 40 for dissolving and generally un-sticking things.

Thanks for the replies. I'm back to the mill and like most things I touch, one thing leads to another and I have completely disassembled the lower and upper heads. Regardless, the heads needed a good cleaning and I damaged the reverse clutch rod and detente ball while trying to remove the stuck ball. Additionally, the quill trip releases weren't functioning because of "crud" and a lack of lubrication. The disassembly process has given me a much better understanding of how the quill and other head functions work. It's all cleaned, painted, buffed and ready for re-assembly. BTW; the "Guide to Renovating the Bridgeport Mill" has been invaluable.

Back