What's new
What's new

Problems with my Analam Mini Wizard DRO

Barry 16"

Aluminum
Hi guys, does anyone know much about older Analam Mini Wizard DRO units ? I bought an older Hartford mill and it came with. When i turn it on it comes on but when I turn the feed or table knobs it doesnt count movement. I got a manual for it and found out how to run a diagnostics check on it. It only made it half way through and stopped on #5. This indicates it has a bad card in it. Does anyone still work on these ? And is there a way to check the scales ? I would hate to spend money getting the read out box fixed and then find out that it doesnt work because the scales are bad too. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Barry

Attachments

• IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3820.jpg
    IMG_3820.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 241
Hi guys, does anyone know much about older Analam Mini Wizard DRO units ? I bought an older Hartford mill and it came with. When i turn it on it comes on but when I turn the feed or table knobs it doesnt count movement. I got a manual for it and found out how to run a diagnostics check on it. It only made it half way through and stopped on #5. This indicates it has a bad card in it. Does anyone still work on these ? And is there a way to check the scales ? I would hate to spend money getting the read out box fixed and then find out that it doesnt work because the scales are bad too. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Barry
Can't help with your question, but - where did you find a manual? I've been looking for one for my slightly different (maybe newer?) version of the mini wizard with no luck. :(

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Can't help with the diagnostics, but I can tell you buying another used box would probably be cheaper than getting it fixed. I sold one here for about $100. The scales are compatible with other anilam boxes, and acurite boxes, as long as the connectors are the same. plus it's a cheap way to get something better that has more features. I replaced mine with an Acurite Turnvision. (on a lathe) It's highly unlikely that both scales went bad at the same time.

I got it on ebay for $22 I think.
Can't help with your question, but - where did you find a manual? I've been looking for one for my slightly different (maybe newer?) version of the mini wizard with no luck. :(

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I agree with you in buying a used box. I like the thought of that rather than buying and installing a whole new system. That is why I want to be able to check the scales and make sure thet are good.
Can't help with the diagnostics, but I can tell you buying another used box would probably be cheaper than getting it fixed. I sold one here for about $100. The scales are compatible with other anilam boxes, and acurite boxes, as long as the connectors are the same. plus it's a cheap way to get something better that has more features. I replaced mine with an Acurite Turnvision. (on a lathe) It's highly unlikely that both scales went bad at the same time.

I have one that was on a TFB I bought last year. There was only one scale hooked up to it but it worked fine. It's in a box somewhere around here. I'll get it out and make sure it powers up and works with the scale I have in both ports. PM me if you are interested. It's the same unit you have pictured above. Paul

Check pins C and D for 5VDC. That is the signal the scales need to be able to read. While having 5VDC does not ensure the scales will read, obviously not having it will be a big problem. I got about 10 or so boxes here in various conditions of working/not working. Best I could do is have you send it in to see if any of my boards work in yours.

If you wanted to email me [email protected] I can send you guys the MiniWizard manual that I have. There were a few different versions of the miniwizard, but this will give you the basics.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

ok, but is there a way to send voltage through the scale to see if it is counting ?
Check pins C and D for 5VDC. That is the signal the scales need to be able to read. While having 5VDC does not ensure the scales will read, obviously not having it will be a big problem. I got about 10 or so boxes here in various conditions of working/not working. Best I could do is have you send it in to see if any of my boards work in yours.

If you wanted to email me [email protected] I can send you guys the MiniWizard manual that I have. There were a few different versions of the miniwizard, but this will give you the basics.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

But simply sending 5VDC through the scale, you need the box to be able to translate the signal. If you had the right equipment you could test the scale, but that equipment translates the signal and pops the signal up onto an O scope or computer... Best thing you would be able to do is hook it up to an O scope and verify the TTL squarewave.

My best advice would be to find someone local to evaluate it (we offer free evaluations of scales/DRO's, we are in Fort Wayne, IN) or maybe have a local shop with a similar style box with same style connector and maybe use their stuff to verify your parts.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Thanks so much for the info Jon
But simply sending 5VDC through the scale, you need the box to be able to translate the signal. If you had the right equipment you could test the scale, but that equipment translates the signal and pops the signal up onto an O scope or computer... Best thing you would be able to do is hook it up to an O scope and verify the TTL squarewave.

My best advice would be to find someone local to evaluate it (we offer free evaluations of scales/DRO's, we are in Fort Wayne, IN) or maybe have a local shop with a similar style box with same style connector and maybe use their stuff to verify your parts.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Back