What's new
What's new

Removal of the BP Feed Trip Plunger

WJ Birmingham

Cast Iron
I have a Webb Champ 3, but it's basically a BP clone.

I can't tell whether the Feed Trip Plunger Bushing is pressed or threaded in.

Does anyone here have any ideas on removal before I go beating on it with a hammer/punch?

Sorry for the canted photo... I've got the head canted for easier sanding. Trying to restore this mill into good working order.

20170911_131827.jpg

Is that a crack in the head casting??? And what's going on with the marks on the quill???

Hi,

I have a Webb 4VH, next one up in weight from the OP's. I copied and enlarged the photo and the line appears to be a deep scratch. I believe that the other marks are on the sheet metal sleeve covering the sindle to keep out dirt. That part is replaceable when the head is opened. (Webb P/N 6086). I put a new one in my machine when I refurbished in about 8 years ago. IIRC, it was less than $10.

Sorry, I don't know how to remove the trip feed plunger. The Webbs are a close copy of a BP except built to metric sizes so if anyone knows about how to remove the plunger on a BP, it would work on a Webb.

Is that a crack in the head casting??? And what's going on with the marks on the quill???

No, it's not a crack. Observant people would notice that I said I'm restoring the mill, and would notice that there's scotch brite pads laying on the bed. The mill is being sanded of old paint. What you see on the quill shield is dust.

No, it's not a crack. Observant people would notice that I said I'm restoring the mill, and would notice that there's scotch brite pads laying on the bed. The mill is being sanded of old paint. What you see on the quill shield is dust.

That will be a great mill once you are done. I looked for a mill for several years before I found the one I have. If you need parts, I have found that the people at Webb in California are very helpful. I would suggest that you order their combined manual and parts book if you don't already have one.

I can't tell whether the Feed Trip Plunger Bushing is pressed or threaded in.

Does anyone here have any ideas on removal before I go beating on it with a hammer/punch?
View attachment 207769

It is a sliding fit, should drop out from gravity alone. It will hang if small debris is in the bore. Clean clean clean the surfaces of the pin and the surrounding area. Flood the area with light oil or since you are painting, Dawn dish soap. Work the pin up and down. Tap from below if needed to get it started.
John

Back