What's new
What's new

Oiler for zerks

Sea Farmer

Diamond
My old round ram war-production era Bridgeport has the zerks. Careful inspection didn't uncover any grease in them, only oil. Since I bought the mill as part of an estate sale which included most of a small shop, it became scavenger hunt time through many boxes of tooling and accessories.

This turned up. I'll have to retake pics of the end cap with the patent data, but the shape and logo show in these pics.

The gun holds enough way oil to fully load 2 zerk fittings to the point of oozing.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,195
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 792
How does it work?

Is this just a metal syringe with a piston that slides in the tube? Does it have a pumping action? It is interesting as it is somewhat similar to a gun I dreamed up and built last year. Mine is a syringe with the piston driven by a screw. It works well and contains enough oil to lube the machine a couple of times per fill.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/dgfoster/albums/oilgun-bridgeport/1128-oilgun4.jpg

I wish I could help you with identification. It is cool gun and has a 40's to 50's look to it.

Denis

It's made by Tecalemit. They made a number of "pompom" style oilers. (Pompom after the WW2 anti-aircraft guns). They started in London in the 1920s and moved to Plymouth in 1948.

Denis, that is exactly what it is. If I can get the macro focus working on the camera I'll get some close-ups posted of the mechanism and patent info.

Mark, thanks. I had speculated that the T might stand for Triumph, and be part of a roadside repair kit. Glad to get the true skinny:)

I am not sure which of my questions you were respoding to. Does it pump, just slide with hand pressure like a medical syringe, or screw down?

I look forward to more information.

Thanks,
Denis

I just use a cheapo horror freight grease gun with the cap sealed up. I store it hanging so the oil stay in the cylinder. Works fine.

Ulf

well, let's see if I can attach some more detailed pics of this pump mechanism.

The first pic shows the 3-part nozzle that grips the zerk quite tightly when pressed over it. The next shows some manufacturer's info. The third shows the pump mechanism, with the O-ring around the piston end, and the very nice spring. The last shows the entire oiler, with the pressure relief hole visible at the bottom of the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 494
How does it work?

Very nice macro shots! Thank you.

It looks like there are flapper valves in the piston shown in the 3rd photo. That and the spring suggests that there is some sort of pumping action and mechanical advantage gained to pump the oil at higher pressure than would be obtrained by a simple syringe action. Can you describe how the device works? I am guessing that pressure on the wide end causes a pump of oil to be forced out and that relaxing the pressure casues a return and refill of the pump chamber ready for another pump. True?

Looks nicely made.

Denis

There is definitely a pressure buildup as you push the barrel down. The nozzle is only open when it's fitted over a zerk -- nothing comes out when you try to pump it unattached. In fact, you can't get the barrel down against the backpressure when it isn't on a zerk.

I haven't examined the head of the piston closely, on the theory that it ain't broke, don't mess with it. But it appears to resemble a bicycle air pump.

It has enough pressure to send way oil oozing out of the back of the knee with a few strokes. Guess this means the lines are probably clear. It's good to know that least the last owner of this war-production machine did it right.

Wowee! 2,000 posts! I'm "Titanium." :) But I don't feel any different. . . .

Last edited:
Very nice macro shots! Thank you.

It looks like there are flapper valves in the piston shown in the 3rd photo. That and the spring suggests that there is some sort of pumping action and mechanical advantage gained to pump the oil at higher pressure than would be obtrained by a simple syringe action. Can you describe how the device works? I am guessing that pressure on the wide end causes a pump of oil to be forced out and that relaxing the pressure casues a return and refill of the pump chamber ready for another pump. True?

Looks nicely made.

Denis

that's a pretty good description of the action. maybe someone can run the patent number and uncover more info.

I have built a simple tool to put oil into zerk fittings. Buy a high pressure oil can (number 66350) from Harbor Freight. Remove the yellow oil spout. Rethread the black housing for 5/16-24. Install a compression adapter (straight thread) into the black housing. The compression adapter needs to be a McMaster number 50915K211 if you are putting on a grease gun hose or 50915K311 if you are putting the grease gun coupler directly onto the adapter. Install the grease gun hose and coupler or grease gun coupler. Done. The coupler will drip oil, but it will put plenty of oil into the zerk fittings!

Sea Farmer:

Been using one on my BP for the last five years, then switched to a "new improved model". I'll start a new thread on that one.

I think it came with my old Triumph TR-3

004.jpg

Pete

Sea Farmer:

Been using one on my BP for the last five years, then switched to a "new improved model". I'll start a new thread on that one.

I think it came with my old Triumph TR-3

004.jpg

Pete

Interesting. Yours has a higher catalogue number and is marked "British Patent" whereas mine has the lower number and was "Patent Pending."

Glad to see they got the patent--I'd wondered.

So tell us about your new and improved model :)

Back