What's new
What's new

Leveling a bridgeport

teamsouth

Aluminum
Wondering how people have leveled heir bridgeports. I have to level mine but havent quit decided how. the floor is off by about 3/8 of an inch. I have the four holes in the corners for bolting it down but i am thinking of building some sort of leveling set-up but seeing if someone has an easier way that gets the job done..
Thanks!!

i wouldnt bolt it down. is the floor 3/8" put of level at the base?
the easiest way to level is this.
1) measure the base side to side and front to rear. write down these dimesions oriented correctly.
2) shim the level on the table using 5/8" dowels in the t-slots to align side to side.
notate the amount of shims used to make the level read "0".
3)divide the base dimesions by the length of the level. multiply this factor times the amount of shims required to calculate roughly the amount of shims to place under the machine base to bring to level.
4) after roughly leveling the machine then use the more accurate readings you will now read to finish leveling the machine.

the machine doesnt have to be perfectly leveled to be functional its merely a reference...jim

I thought a mill did not have to be leveled to function properly. Leveling was only needed if you were going to use it as a reference point.

I haven't leveled mine but if I need to then I will.

I have my Bport on a roller base, so much for leveling it.
because the mill is a 'closed system' I would think it could be at a compound angle and the machine should still do accurate work. I am right wrong or otherwise???

they use mills and lathes on ships to do maintence. how does leveling work with those?

bob

a good thick piece of rubber at all four corners is a good practice. The machine will find its own level. The pads also help with vibration.......

I tapped the 4 corner bolt down holes (3/4-10) and made jack screws from some 3/4-10 all-thread. Also made 4 base plates (from 4 X 4 X 1" CRS) for the jack screws to "center" in. Can be easily leveled with a carpenters level.

(the USMC answer!)

There's alot of really stout metal in a Bridgeport... it'll take quite a bit of Composition 4 to fully level it...

:D

You tram the head to the table so level for precision isnt usually a factor.

But wouldnt you want to level the machine to prevent wayoil runoff and uneven/premature wear?

levelings good if you only have one coolant pipe of the table, got to do it some point.

Back