What's new
What's new

Rusnok Mill

DSM8

Aluminum
I recently acquired a mill but am having a heck of a time getting information on it. It appears to be a mill head attached to a horizontal milling machine.
Wondering is anyone is familiar with this and can provide some insight, I know I have to get some collets for it and already reached out to the manuf and another company that may have them but beyond that this is my first foray into milling and the price was way to good to pass up for a first machine.

It is wired for 110, and there are two motors on it, one for the head the other for the base.

Thoughts?

Mill1.jpgMill2.jpg

As far as I can tell, it is not a Hardinge or Bridgeport mill, so you would do better to post in the General or even the Antique sections of PM.

As you probably figured out, Rusnok and Bridgeport vertical milling heads often turn up attached to old horizontal mills.

If you want to search through a number of different mill makers, from Abene to Zyto, trying to find a picture that matches your horizontal mill, look here:
Machine Tool Archive I advise you to start by just looking at the USA makers.

Larry

That is a Rusnok 70 Milling Head, takes “Y” collets. The Rusnok is mounted on the 2 inch horizontal overarm.
There is a Rusnok Mill yahoo group with lots of documentation.

It is mounted on a Sheldon 0 Mill. The handle on the left is for a Reeves drive for the spindle. The spindle taper is B&S #9.

Bernie

Thank you for the information, I have been searching for a source to get new collets but of the two I have come across neither of them seem to know what I was talking about.
Does anyone have an actual link of number to someplace that would be able to get me what I am looking for as it only has the one collet on the the machine now and I know I will want more diversity than that for tooling etc.

Thank you for the information, I have been searching for a source to get new collets but of the two I have come across neither of them seem to know what I was talking about.
Does anyone have an actual link of number to someplace that would be able to get me what I am looking for as it only has the one collet on the the machine now and I know I will want more diversity than that for tooling etc.

AFAIK, the "Y" collets are still being made new, BUT.. also "AFAIK", only in batches now and then. IOW - a maker who runs a year or three supply at a time, but only once in a while when they have enough orders to make it worth the bother. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before

As to the Sheldon UNDER it? H&H Industrial has full sets of #9 B&S collets, as expected.. NOT "Made in USA". I have a set. "decent". I don't actually use them. I prefer PDQ-Marlin VS or Weldon side-locks.

The other option, because it is fast and cheap, if the ONE collet you have can decently grip a "straight tail" is to mount an ER collet chuck while you are scouting other options.

I don't recommend you get too carried away on spend until you have used it for your work.

These heads were made for light work, the lighter, the better. You may want something else after a while. Put the one you already have to that test and see what you think of it.

Thank you for the insight, for my purposes I will be dealing mostly with Derlin and Aluminum. Slots etc for brackets and what not for use on motorcycles. Light duty would be describe my application, I could have gotten away with the XY table and a drill press but this was wayyy to good a deal to pass up on and having the horizontal mill option is nice as the parts for it are also included in the sale, just no colletts..go figure

In 1962, I got a great deal on an almost new 1/2" variable speed floor drill press and Palmgren X-Y rotary table at an estate auction. I got the optional collet chuck to use with end mills or router bits instead of the Jacobs chuck. I soon found out that the thing was fine for drilling holes and useless for milling. The little desk-top Austrian combination machine I bought in 1964 actually did a lot better job of milling.

So congratulations on buying a real mill.

The Rusnok takes Universal Engineering double angle type Y collets, 1/2" maximum capacity. They are still made, at about $48 each. I would look for good used ones.

I have bought used and new Universal collets here:Tools-n-Gizmos: New and Used Machine Tooling

For holding end mills, buy these sizes: 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. I have found that the 1/8 and 1/4 are useful for holding carbide burs, but I have a few end mills with those shanks. The 3/16, 3/8 and 1/2 sizes are for the most common types of HSS and carbide end mills. You might find it handy to get one or two good drill chucks with 1/2 straight shanks.

Larry

Thank you for the insight, for my purposes I will be dealing mostly with Derlin and Aluminum. Slots etc for brackets and what not for use on motorcycles. Light duty would be describe my application, I could have gotten away with the XY table and a drill press but this was wayyy to good a deal to pass up on and having the horizontal mill option is nice as the parts for it are also included in the sale, just no colletts..go figure

Sounds a very good fit. Missing collets are no mystery.

The previous owner was probably a mill hand, not a hobbyist.

The horizontal would have been used for anything practical it COULD be used for. Which is nearly all milling, actually, though some setups are rudely awkward.

This is not a very heavy mill, but Horizontals are so much stiffer, that could have still moved some serious metal. Just not in my ken if there are side-lock milling cutter holders to fit that vertical spindle as well as the collets. Someone else will know.

In 1962, I got a great deal on an almost new 1/2" variable speed floor drill press and Palmgren X-Y rotary table at an estate auction. I got the optional collet chuck to use with end mills or router bits instead of the Jacobs chuck. I soon found out that the thing was fine for drilling holes and useless for milling. The little desk-top Austrian combination machine I bought in 1964 actually did a lot better job of milling.

So congratulations on buying a real mill.

The Rusnok takes Universal Engineering double angle type Y collets, 1/2" maximum capacity. They are still made, at about $48 each. I would look for good used ones.

I have bought used and new Universal collets here:Tools-n-Gizmos: New and Used Machine Tooling

For holding end mills, buy these sizes: 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. I have found that the 1/8 and 1/4 are useful for holding carbide burs, but I have a few end mills with those shanks. The 3/16, 3/8 and 1/2 sizes are for the most common types of HSS and carbide end mills. You might find it handy to get one or two good drill chucks with 1/2 straight shanks.

Larry

I agree with Larry to get a few tools with 1/2 inch shanks.

There are a bunch of Y collets on ebay right now, some sets, and some single pieces for $12 and less per piece. I never paid more than that. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Bernie

I realize that you are new to the forum. Welcome.
Having said that, your title sucks! Please read the forum rules about thread titles. If you post the same thing in the general section, Milacron will lock it.
JR

Back