What's new
What's new

Series 1 downfeed question

jw714

Plastic
I recently bought a series 1 step pulley machine that had a broken downfeed. I disasembled the geartrain and replaced a lot of the parts, worm gear cradle,cluster shaft,worm gear feed shaft. After assembling the worm cradle it seems to bind up the worm feed shaft when I tighten the setscrew that holds the brass bushing in the cradle. This setscrew also sets the backlash on the feed pinion. I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. Even with the setscrew pretty tight I can still turn the assembly with my fingers. I f I tighten the setscrew real tight it will bind the shaft so I can't turn it. Any ideas? BTW I reinstalled the new shaft assembly in the old cradle and had the same results. Thanks, John

The bushings should have a small blind hole or countersink for the set screw to to seat. The purpose is to locate and prevent axial movement or rotation. It is typical with a Bridgeport when a setscrew misses the mark the bushing collapses and the shaft is pinched.
Break the problem into components, what works and what does not to simplify repair.
Feed Engage 2.JPGFeed Engage 1.JPGBridgeport Feed Subassembly.jpgBP4.JPGJ-Head explode 1.jpg
John

Thanks jhruska, whoever was in this before me must have changed the bushings, none of them have a hole for the setscrew. I have the rebuild book for this and read about lining up the "divot". There are no divots or holes for the setscrews. I'm going to setup the shafts to run smooth,then get a transfer punch and mark where the bushings need to locate,remove the assembly and drill a hole for the setscrew. Thanks again.... I think I got this now.

Back