What's new
What's new

Series 1 step pulley belt change

bhigdog

Stainless
I need to change the step pulley belt on my Bridgeport. I have the "renovating a Bridgeport" book and it looks fairly straight forward. I'm just wondering if there are there any pitfalls or complications I should be aware of. Thanks..........Bob

This is me disagreeing with JR just to disagree with him.

Barry said its pretty straightforward... he recommends that you have your quill all the way down to the bottom when you go to do this.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

I'm assuming the helper is because of the machines height and motor weight. I'll be doing this by myself off a ladder so I'll take it slow. Yes, the book says quill down so i'll do that. I just wanted to make sure there were no hidden gotchas where I'd end up with tiny parts spilling and rolling all over the place. Thanks......Bob

Got er done no problem. The only thing I disagree with in the book is it says to tilt the head horizontal to get it lower. IMO much better to leave it vertical and let gravity hold everything where it belongs.......Bob

Well I have to say I never tilted the head to remove an upper half or complete head. I would like to see that book. We never had a helper or a book but that was a long time ago. Pull motor, bring quill down, remove 3 nuts that hold the upper half of either the j or 2J head and push up on the head while bringing the spindle back up. The upper half will come off. Split it on the bench, 45 minutes you're done.

Other than the head tilt book says....Remove draw bar. Lower spindle. Remove motor. Remove cog belt retainer disc. Remove 6 cap screws and tap upper housing loose and remove. Replace belt. Reverse to reassemble.
Easy peasy with a 2' high step to stand on.
A knowledgeable person that knows what tools to have at hand could do the change in 30 minutes tops. But as always more than one way to skin most cats.........Bob

Back