What's new
What's new

Source for Hardinge No.5. Taper Nose "blanks"

Stvy

Plastic
Hi,

I have some custom work holding requirements for repeat jobs planned for my taper nose HLV-H. I know Hardinge supply a range of what they call "fixture plates" but I am looking for:

1. 2-4" max bore depth stock on it. I am wondering if they (or someone else) supply taper nose locking blanks? E.g. a cylindrical block with the No5 taper nose part pre-machined into one end?
2. minimise over hang from the spindle.

In addition do they supply extra depth blanks (no 3 way split) 5C step chucks in customs dimensions for more bore depth? I would need 2-4" bore capacity. Although that is not ideal for minimising the over hang.

Hardinge in the UK are not what they were even a few years ago for customer support and if I have to get on the phone with the folks in the USA I'd like to keep the call time to a minimum so any up front advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for? or do you need something to attach directly to the 4° outside taper of the spindle?

I have machined pieces of cast iron to fit on the 4° taper nose, but it might not be very good use of your time unles you produce several at the same time.

I have a Hardinge catalog that shows a 1379-25 blank collet (no slots) for a 2" extended nose extra depth closer. It looks to be about 1/2 inch longer than the closer, so it is not quite what you need. Price was $95.00 USD some years ago, probably higher now. I think you will end up buying a 4" extra depth closer (part number 1383) and making your own collet blanks. Hardinge might make them for you if you sent them a drawing, but your cost to make them will be about the same, as your request is unusual. If it something they do all the time Hardinge specials are not outrageous.

Looking in my Hardinge Spindle Tooling for Manual and CNC Lathes dated Apr 2005.

Pg 8: 5C Extra Depth Step Chucks and Closers.

2" Step chuck P/N 1391-00-19-000000 available in 1.125" - 2.000" X 1/16" inc. Round. These have 1.125" depth .
They use a taper closer P/N 1433-26-00-000000
An unslotter 2" emergency collet is P/N 1379-25-00-000000

Closers and collets come in 2,3,4,5,6" sizes.

Moving to Pg 25 they have 5C fixture plates for tapered and threaded spindles.
For a 3" taper plate P/N is 53A-0009750
a 5" is P/N 55A-0008750 and the face is 3/4" thick.
an 8.875" is P/N 59A-0008750 with 3/4" thick face.
Pg 26 has machined face plates with 4 T slots and tapped holes OD's of 7" and 8.875"

Note: some 2-6" collets have the standard small angle close and others only have the larger taper.
There are two kinds of closers, one for the 1/2" depth system and a second series for the 1.125" depth system.

You should be able to get a current copy of this catalog from your local Hardinge rep.

Found a 2017 copy online here: http://hardingeus.com/usr/pdf/2348_SpindleTooling.pdf

Hope this helps,
Bill

Thanks to all.

Hopefully I can clear up my thinking a little better than I did in my opening post. My preferred solution is one that attaches to the outside of the spindle nose. The 4 deg taper. in the same way that chucks do and (with respect to the catalogue given in the link Pg.25) I am looking for a custom "Spindle Mount Fixture plate". A C-24 with a custom "B" flange thickness of 2-4" of stock for me to machine would cover my needs.

Another way to do it would be again with reference to the linked catalogue Pg.25 a 5C "Collet style fixture plate". A 5C-3F with a custom B flange thickness of 2-4" (up from the 1") of stock for me to machine. Now I am thinking that would not be rigid enough since it would not have the support of a spindle mount step collet closer. So I rejected that idea and did not discuss it in the OP.

Instead a custom no slits extra depth (2-4" up from 1.25") 2" step chuck used with the standard 2" extra depth step collet closer (P/N 14332600000000) would do it.

When I have spoken with Hardinge in the past I got the impression that there are a lot of standard parts that are not on shophardinge. An example being metric sized 2-6" hardened and ground 5C step chucks whereas for example the imperial sized parts for 1.1/8-2" are listed for 2" step chucks are listed. Although it took a very expensive phone call to Hardinge in the USA to get that information. Like I say calling them in the UK was not as helpful. I was hoping that someone on PM may have experience with Hardinge USA and custom spindle mount fixture plates

Thanks,
Steve

Hardinge in the USA are very helpful.

The standard taper spindle nose fixture plates current pricing:

53A-0008750, C-23 in stock, $687 each
55A-0008750, C-24 in stock, $397 each
59A-0008750, C-25 in stock, $950 each

NB none of which is available to find on the shophardinge.com site.

I got pricing on custom C-24 with 4" of extra stock on the and to machine down. In the QTY I need only ~$50 more than the standard C-24 pricing.

They would not offer a custom no slit 2" extra depth step chuck with 2" more stock on the end. Apparently too dangerous. For my application I do not agree with that. It seems that it is a policy on step chucks and it applies to no slits solid as well which makes no sense to me. Instead they proposed a custom step chuck closer and step chuck with 2" extra stock in the middle. I.e. the closer would act on the end of the work piece still. Not an option as much more expensive than the spindle mount fixture plate options.

Steve

Back