What's new
What's new

Spec for the built-in pinion on the cross slide screw?

Peter.

Titanium
From reading it seems that the cross slide screw pinion is not a standard tooth form (is it a stub-tooth gear?). Does anyone have the proper spec for this gear? I need to make a new cross slide screw and I need to see if I can find the right cutter for the job.

Pete.

Having inspected the gear last night I see that there's an un-worn edge where the pinion is wider than the driving gear. I'm going to use this as a guide to grind a tool for single-pointing a new gear since it has so few teeth.

The cross-slide screw seems to be square section thread. Is this correct or could it be modified square section?

Hardinge used true square threads on most of their machine feed screws until 1960. I make replacements using a Comet FG1 threading tool ground to .050 inch wide with a square end. The blade fits my Swiss AFE threading tool on my 40 position tool post, which allows the blade to be adjusted for the helix angle of different diameter threads. Hardinge used 5/16, 3/6, 7/16 and 1/2 inch screws with 10 TPI.

This is sort of bad news as of today, I guess. I had/have a spare HLV cross feed screw and know exactly where it was for several years, until I had to get it out of the way to move a machine. I have spent an hour looking for it and have run out of places to look. But I do have pictures taken in February, 2014.

Larry

HLV cross feed 1.jpgHLV cross feed screw 1 1.jpgHLV cross feed screw 1 2.jpg

That looks in excellent condition Larry. If got do happen to find it I would much rather buy that than have to make one myself.
Pete

I know, that is why I spent so much time looking for it. I will keep at it, if I think of other places to look.

Larry

I found my two HLV cross feed screw assemblies today. They were, as is always the case, in the last place I looked. I have never owned an HLV, but these screws are of use to me. The threaded portion of the HLV screws can be cut off and transplanted to fit the upper feed screw of a slide rest for a 1946 model slide rest for a TR59 or DV59. Of course, I prefer to help out owners of the HLV. I will get some pictures later, but so far they both look good.

Larry

Back