What's new
What's new

Swapping Bridgeport head

BruceFenster

Plastic
Bought a Bridgeport from a person who had several to choose from. I choose the one with the DRO. However the head was noisy. So the owner swapped the head with that from another of the same model that ran smooth. I was find with this as I didn't see a difference.

After getting home and swinging the head upright, I noticed the alignment mark was about 4° of center when the head was centered by eye.

IMG_2860.jpg

Is this normal? Should we have swapped the original arm adapter with the head?

I noticed that the knee and head are serialized. Should these be matched or should they be in a range?

Have I bought a Bridgeport that is devalued other wise because we swapped the head?

Sweep the table and make a new mark. The graduations are at best approximate. No, the head and knee numbers do not matter. It's more of an assembly nomenclature to keep parts together during manufacture. The mill is not devalued :)
John

That mark was made at final assembly. They trammed the head and then used a scribe or punch to make that line.

Newer machines use aluminum bands with the graduations on them. From an interchangeability standpoint, those are actually more accurate.

Back