What's new
What's new

Swapping Tables

Joseph Durnya

Aluminum
Hi Guys,

i have 2 j heads... any consequence in switching the tables ? one has the 48 in table and it wont fit in the corner i have it in ..

the newer machine has the chrome ways ( smaller table.. ) is the bottom of the table hard chromed as well?

thanks, Joe

Hi Guys,

i have 2 j heads... any consequence in switching the tables ? one has the 48 in table and it wont fit in the corner i have it in ..

Both are 2J?

Tell us again why it isn't easier to just swap the position of the mills, entire, stroll over to a different location to utilize each, tomorrow, than you did yesterday, and not have to even CARE?

Small and light as a tiny BirdPort is, one person could corner-walk that swap on greased galvanized sheet steel, no rollers or skates, no significant lift even needed, faster than you could get even ONE of the tables off safely.

???

Hey Thermite !

the room is long and narrow... id like to take the newer bp apart and go through it... and im not sure i could get the one past the other once they are in place.. im just getting the shop back together after a 20 year hiatus. initally i had only one mill ( the one with the 4' table in the corrner of the room ) and i remember having trouble running the table across as i was too close to the wall. Now that i got the mill back ( i lent it to the man i purchased it from ) id like to set it back up and start making chips.. the other mill wont be ready for awhile ( to many irons in the fire ) possibly including that Brown & Dull 1D we have been talking about...

a picture is worth a thousand words so have a look

here is the mill Basement Bridgeport - YouTube

and here is the space its going into Another Feb Shop Update - YouTube

Joe

Hey Thermite !

the room is long and narrow...

Yah think? I can still see the floor! I ever get that much clear space all collected up in one place? I'd wonder who TF stole my machines!

:)

Musical chairs time. It ain't hard. Just tedious.

You can DO this, but I wouldn't REALLY want to swap tables on two BeePee's made same day, once they were 20+ years in use. Straight Edges, Surface Plate, and scraping tools-time, and on BOTH.
Righteouss enough as a project, but "project" it can become. Those sure delay making chips on the both of them . You do not have to go there.

BTW.. space is so tight? Trade around 'til you have ONE stouter vertical or ONE augmented (CNC'ed) later-era BP and maybe a compact but stout horizontal. Or not.

You can then peddle the surplus of BP's for decent coin. Always a good market for usable ones in clean condition that do not need a major rebuild "project" to JF make chips.

Yah think? I can still see the floor!

I ever get that much clear space all collected up in one place?

I'd wonder who TF stole my machines!

Musical chairs time. It ain't hard. Just tedious.

You can DO this, but I wouldn't REALLY want to swap tables on two BeePee's made same day, once they were 20+ years in use.

Straight Edges, Surface Plate, and scraping tools-time, and on BOTH.

:)

I MUST see some pictures or video of your shop !!!

I MUST see some pictures or video of your shop !!!

It would be the basement room at a state operated retirement community. What those other poor people have to put up with. :ill:
Too far gone to rehabilitate so they let him work part time as the old fix-it guy. :codger:

That way he can afford to buy his booze and smokes. :drink:

In all the years since 2003 to present I have seen but one photo, an out of focus phase perfect. And who knows where that came from. :skep:

In all the years since 2003 to present I have seen but one photo, an out of focus phase perfect. And who knows where that came from. :skep:

Given that 2003 was 8 years before I knew PM even existed, at least your memory is in keeping with the fog level of your posts of late.

Might be a strain for yah in a deteriorating condition, Benjamin Button, but just check the upper right corner of any post, any given PM member.

There's a "Join Date" displayed. Your one may have given you a helluva head-start on looking for my posts, but then again, there was that 8 year fast whilst you had to survive off yer own stored fat. Wherever located..

:D

That makes more sense. Still don't know why you come to this forum for as much as you hate BPs. Well, I guess there are some things that we will never know.
JR

I don't HATE BP's Jr. I just think they are too-often over-abused by optimists who brag they hung a 6" face mill off an R8 tail and everyone else can do the same, better-yet, top their numbers.

Then again. I guess you'll tell me a 6" cutter was too conservative, bigger one is better?

I won't see it, if so.

I just added this forum to the same DNS blackhole as Gordo's lego-troll sandbox.

When the Moderator shifts a forum from open information exchange to scoring at head-games?

It's time to stick a fork in it.

Browser won't even load those bun-fight forums in future.

Last edited:
That makes more sense. Still don't know why you come to this forum for as much as you hate BPs. Well, I guess there are some things that we will never know.
JR

Let me guess.

After the bean counters finish ruining this country by off-shoring the American manufacturing jobs, industries, ideas, and selling off everything else they can they find that was made here, they have nothing else better to do in retirement. They find a forum to ruin.

Rape a country, rape it's people.

Then again. I guess you'll tell me a 6" cutter was too conservative, bigger one is better?

If you've read my posts, you'd know that any flycutter is too big and insert cutters over 3" are a waste on a BP.

As for the ULM part, we used to say; "ULM is somebody that tells a person below them the exact way to do something without ever having done it."

I was just a lowly engineering manager. Now, I just play in my shop. I can post a picture if needed.
JR

I would bend my knees and look. I can spot chrome ways when I am standing. I think it would work if I'm kneeling.

table is in a container on the floor packed behind a bunch of other machines.. so just asking if there are in fact chromed tables...

back to my original question... is it ok to swap tables ?

thanks,

joe

table is in a container on the floor packed behind a bunch of other machines.. so just asking if there are in fact chromed tables...

thanks,

joe

WHatiizut? If PM community "votes" you an "OK" PM Communiy must parachute-in-with canode & Biax and.. and . they take the hit if you discover that leads to a need to re-scrape BOTH?

A scraper hand might not mind. I am not he. Are YOU?

Tell yah what. Interchangeable parts brand new or not, I SUSPECT that you'll have less need of scraping if you swap the entire KNEE.

Trust the Z-axis to not be as critical as X-Y, since you will probably have it locked during many more ops than let you lock X, Y, or both, no traverse required.

2CW

thanks,

joe

The shop I bought my mill had three of them from the same location. They did not want to do a swap because of the effort. There was no mention that the swap would cause any problem. Tables usually wear in the middle. I assumed that it could be done if somebody was doing it for free.

In a technical sense, yes, you can swap the tables. When the machine was built by Bridgeport, they just winged a table on it randomly. Only the gib is hand fitted. So, if the ways are in original condition, I see no harm.

However, in a more practical sense, it's probably not a good idea unless you have the skills to properly recondition the ways. As you know, all machines wear, and they all wear differently. Mixing and matching worn parts is not going to give optimal results. To do the job properly will require grinding and or scraping the ways back to factory spec, fitting a new or built up gib, and re-aligning the screw.

But, I sense a strong case of "home shop economics" at play here. So, do what you want.

thanks for that info guys... dont know how much scraping you can do on chrome ways. but i can see gib having to be fitted.. its just im trying to fit 20 lbs crap into a 5 lb bag... same old story !

Joe

Back