What's new
What's new

Tailstock on Hardinge CHNC?

Anyone seen a tailstock retrofitted onto one of the older Hardinge CHNC chucker lathes?

Not likely, because you would also need to remove the carriage, leaving no cutting tools and nothing for the NC to operate but the spindle. Same goes for a manual HC. They are called chuckers because the work is held in a chuck or collet and there is no place on the bed for a tailstock.

Pictures of a CHNC help explain what I mean. New Page 1

Larry

Last edited:
The old HXLs had a tailstock, they also had a turret. The HXL turret was smaller and toward the operator side to allow bar work. I think they were actually sold as a bar machine and shaft machine. I do have a old HXL tail stock which would fit on a CHNC and might actually be useful if the lathe had no turret. I tried to give it to Milicron but I guess he gave up on the idea of building the special tail stock for his HLV-H.

O ya I saw the "Mystery Tailstock" thread but missed where JHOLLAND1 said it would in fact fit the CHNC.

On the HXL tailstock, with the quill fully extended, what would be the distance from the end of the quill to where the casting is sitting on the bed? IE, the full stickout or overhang?

About 6 inches without the ram extended. I would guess another 4 inches extended. You have to know it does not have a screw to extend. It was either hydraulic or pneumatic. The 6 inches is to the ram face, a center would add to it. The bearings are in the ram itself so others may know if a special center was used or if a plain #2 morse would fit. Just checked and a #2 morse center seems right and adds about 1 1/2 inches to the length. a longer center would add more. Boy that thing is heavy!
As installed on an HXL air was used under the housing to levitate it for moving, so pushing it back and forth on the lathe would have bee a breeze.

Loooot of hours on that clock :P I've got just over 10k hours on mine. Not sure what yr mine is, but its S/N is in the 4000 range.

Back