What's new
What's new

Takisawa Lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeser

Cast Iron
A local machine shop has one of these lathes and thinks highly of it. One came up for sale not too far away but it has an issue with a bearing in the headstock according to the owner. Is this something worth considering or should I pass on it? What is involved in replacing a main bearing at the spindle? What would be a fair price for it? Below is a link to the lathe.

Takisawa Engine Lathe 14" x 32" Model TSL-8 D ... by Webb - general for sale - by owner

They are good lathes but issue with a bearing in the headstock? Interesting that the ad claims it is in excellent running condition? I cannot speak for that particular lathe but Takisawa lathes have a good reputation.

I'd check the first one out very carefully before buying. There appears to be a fair amount of surface rust on it. Not a huge deal, but it does take time to deal with it.

It looks to me that there's a significant ridge near the top outside of the near way close to the chuck. The ways are oiled from the apron, and when the oiler quits, worn ways result. These have hardened ways so are not so easy to fix.

The Bay area lathe has a D1-6 series Camlock spindle while the Chula Vista machine has an A5. To mount a chuck on an A5 spindle, the backplate is bolted to the spindle thru its face, then the chuck is bolted to the backplate. It also has about a 1-7/16" spindle through hole. The D1-6 chuck comes off as a unit and has a through hole greater than 1-1/2". The A5 system works perfectly well, but is a pita if it's your only lathe and you're switching chucks/faceplates, etc.

The Chula Vista machine is missing the longitudinal rod that holds the adjustable stops to kick out the carriage feed. The Bay area machine is 10-15 years newer, is a gap bed lathe, has a longer bed, a QC toolpost and a collet closer. It's a lot more lathe for about the same money.

I live in lathe-rich New England, so am prob underestimating West Coast prices, but I think the Bay area lathe is priced well and the rusty lathe is overpriced by a factor of at least 2.

Fabworks has it right....

Why is it rusted living in Southern California? That would make me wonder if it had been stored outside and got rained on at one time, not good.

I had a Webb Takasawa TSL-800, very good lathe, easy to use, very accurate, made a lot of money on that lathe. That lathe is very over priced, in that condition it's worth $1000 tops, the TSL-1000C is fairly priced.

The spindle bearings are opposed taper roller bearings, so I wouldn't think replacing the bearings would be that big a deal.

The ways on those machines are very hard, so if you look at a Webb Takasawa 800/1000 and the ways are worn then it's been thrashed.

Why do you want a machine that needs work? Spindle bearingsw are expensive. You don't replace 1, you replace the set, You're probably looking at $1K min for a pair. Do you have a press and a very, very clean place to work? There's also a reason that the spindle bearings took a puke. What is it?
JR

A local machine shop has one of these lathes and thinks highly of it. One came up for sale not too far away but it has an issue with a bearing in the headstock according to the owner. Is this something worth considering or should I pass on it? What is involved in replacing a main bearing at the spindle? What would be a fair price for it? Below is a link to the lathe.

Takisawa Engine Lathe 14" x 32" Model TSL-8 D ... by Webb - general for sale - by owner

I don't know if you bought the lathe. But those lathes you can adjust the preload on the spindle bearings. It's possible that it might have needed adjustment if there was any play in the spindle.

Hello I’m new to site, I just purchased a Takisawa max turn 1000. I was wondering if there should be extra change gears for threading.

Yes, there should be. Nose around this site a bit and you'll find references to sources for gears other than Takisawa. Takisawa USA will be happy to sell you the gears, but they charge about 3x what a generic vendor would.

There are at least two versions of TSL change gear sets. If you have a manual for your machine, it will list the gears you need.

Why do you want a machine that needs work? Spindle bearingsw are expensive. You don't replace 1, you replace the set, You're probably looking at $1K min for a pair. Do you have a press and a very, very clean place to work? There's also a reason that the spindle bearings took a puke. What is it?
JR

I replaced the bearings in my 16x40 lathe. NOS bearings from ebay were about $800 each. New from a distributor they were over $1000 each. That's for SKF and NSK bearings.

Yes, there should be. Nose around this site a bit and you'll find references to sources for gears other than Takisawa. Takisawa USA will be happy to sell you the gears, but they charge about 3x what a generic vendor would.

There are at least two versions of TSL change gear sets. If you have a manual for your machine, it will list the gears you need.

Thanks for the info neilho , what is your thoughts on these machines. Are they good machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back