What's new
What's new

torque cut 22 and network

Duesentrieb66

Plastic
Folks,

since days I try to establish a network connection to my linux samba server or windows server.

there is a new motherboard in with a built in network card. got the driver running so far. but i am not able to see any server in the network.

does someone have a tcp/ip network under ms-dos running?

drives me crazy...

Thanks, Duesentrieb

Can you use FTP?

I use mTCP mTCP which has a basic FTP client and some other tools. You'll need a packet driver. My SBC has a RTL8139 chipset that required PNP to be enabled in the bios even though it is DOS. I suspect it has something to do with the fact it's a PCI chipset on an ISA SBC. Oddly, the driver would load and it would send packets but was unable to receive until PNP was enabled. :crazy:

I also used the NTP client so I can synchronize the clock with my NTP server on bootup. ;)

I can exit to dos, download my programs, and then execute run.bat to start-up again without having to re-enable/re-home the drives.

This got me thinking how neat it would be to simply map a network drive rather than exiting to dos and using ftp. I dug through my old box of floppies and found and old DOS network boot disk I made years ago using Microsoft Network Client. I think will work on this for my machine.

I found this tutorial online that may help:
Installing Microsoft Network Client 3.0 | joyojc.com

I have my TC-3 all torn apart so it may be a week or two before I get around to attempting to create a samba share. At present the FTP server option has worked well as I often generate my cut paths late at night from home. I also have USB support figured out if your interested.

My 308 is talking to my shop puter via a switch. I had more trouble with the shop puter vs. the machines as the shop puter talks to the house and internet via a USB wireless module. I worked with a IT guy from California from another site I moderate on and we were able to setup both machines with static IP's and then go through the original programs for the mill to see what it was looking for. Once done, I just search drive 'E' on the mill and it finds the shop puter. I can run big programs without dripping the data stream.

I still have all the emails and may be able to help you if you have specific questions.

Good luck.

I have it working with samba! :) Easy as pie.

I basically followed the steps for FreeDOS:
Setup FreeDOS to access a Samba share - SambaWiki

I restored the my TC-3 drive image to a test machine. It had an Intel Pro/100 nic, so I downloaded the DOS driver. I also downloaded the two MS Client 3.0 files DSK3-1.EXE and DSK3-2.EXE files from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/MSCLIENT/ After I had all my files ready I made a bootable USB stick using Rufus Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way and copied the files to it. I then booted the machine and copied the required files to a temp folder on the hard drive. Rebooted the machine and ran the setup program. Once finished I rebooted and the network worked... I tested by pinging my server.

Getting samba sorted took a few changes to my smb.conf. By default lanman support is disabled as it doesn't support encrypted passwords. In the global section set:
Code:
encrypt passwords = false
lanman auth = Yes
lm announce = Yes
client lanman auth = Yes

Use normal net commands to view the network and map/delete volumes:
Code:
net view
net use z: \\server\user

Once you have your mapping where you'd like the commands can be added to your autoexec.bat. I normally delete my mappings prior to creating them to ensure the server doesn't have issues on reboot. I also sync time with the samba server (I haven't tested this feature yet).

Back