What's new
What's new

Whats the Red Capacitator on the 6F DC drive board?

Maxim

Stainless
Like the title says....

I got a 6F unit I'm trying to fix, I took the board out and there is a note that its bad written on top with marker. With a 1985 date :rolleyes5:

Anyways, I see two caps on there that are blown. They are both in the bottom left corner.

They both have a leg on the circuit leading back to the neutral wire. And they are both blown on that side.

The green one is 0.47 uf. The red one only has a GE part number.

V13CLA10AJ0

I'm hoping that if I can find this and resolder, it will start buzzing again. The inside drive parts look pretty clean.

PICT0079.jpg

I'm pretty sure its a 3 but I'll check and get back to you later.

From the wiki description of a varistor, it sounds like its probably one of those.

I’m totally agreeing with Lakeside53 and cmjohnson, and I guarantee that the red thing is a MOV. That MOV and .47mf capacitor are on the primary side of the “T1” transformer (also bottom left corner). The damage to your circuit board was probably the result of it seeing a higher than normal AC voltage, not a good thing to do to it. I do not think by just changing those two components that you will have fixed it, but I hope I’m wrong. For starters, I would check the circuit board paths for damage, T1 transformer for resistance (~ 560 ohms primary side) and all those SCR’s and diodes on that metal bracket/heat sink, Good Luck.

Back