What's new
What's new

Unloading advice for Wells Index 747

OldParts

Aluminum
It's probably not even loaded yet, but I expect it to be coming on a step deck or straight flatbed. I have a 5000lb forklift to remove it. Expect pallet of sorts but not positive.

Is it best to get forks under this machine, or is(are) there a() point(s) for attaching straps?

Thanks!

From memory the 747 comes in around 2300 lbs, so your forklift should be plenty able to pick it up. I would think if it's under a sturdy pallet and very securely fastened to that pallet, you should be good.

Otherwise, I know on regular Bridgeports (which weigh essentially the same) I've seen two approved methods for lifting: One with nylon straps under both sides of the ram and another (older perhaps not as preferred method) is to use a quality eye hook screwed into the a threaded hole on top of the ram specifically designed for that purpose.

I know Keith Rucker over at Vintagemachinery.org has a Wells Index milling machine. He would be able to give you good advice on moving it as well.

Keith Rucker - VintageMachinery.org
- YouTube

If they know what they're doing, it should come with the head inverted, just like a BP. All the knee mills are top heavy SOBs. IMHO, the best and easiest way to move is to get the forks close together and put two 4X4s or 4X6s under the ram (front and back). If you have slings, they work just about as good, going under the ram. Be damn careful.
JR

Thanks everyone!

Haven't contacted Keith, Maschine, but the straps/slings sounds like a good plan. By coincidence, I have come across his website, and I think a few videos, several times before. :cool: Knowing that 4X6s under the ram is an alternative might just come in very handy too, JR.
If it’s been outside, in the rain, don’t buy it.
The head will be trashed

Mills in general, a vari-speed weakness, or a WI weakness? Mostly just curious now though; I highly doubt this unit has seen a drop of rain, and I'm sure the seller plans to tarp or shrink wrap it for the trip. But that does remind me that I need to check into a spot on the roof. :o

Haven't contacted Keith, Maschine, but the straps/slings sounds like a good plan. By coincidence, I have come across his website, and I think a few videos, several times before. :cool: Knowing that 4X6s under the ram is an alternative might just come in very handy too, JR.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that you can actually call Wells Index directly and ask them about lifting methods. I was pretty close to buying a 747 myself last year, but the one I was looking at needed a new table and also I wanted to inquire about parts availability. So I called the company itself and was able to chat with an engineer that worked there no problem. He answered all my questions readily and was very accessible. Customer support seemed terrific at WI, plus it's a real American company. Their mills are widely regarded as great machines and in some/most ways superior to Bridgeports. If you're buying a nice one in good shape, I think you will be very pleased with it based on everything I have heard and seen in some of Keith Rucker's videos.

Like JrIowa said use 4x4 or 4x6 under the ram and forks on either side close in and you will be golden. I moved my bridgeport that way and is very solid when moving. Hanging from straps may give you the wrecking ball effect. On mine one 4x4 in front of main column was balanced just right.

Thanks all! Will need to see how it's situated on the truck etc, before I know whether slings or timbers, but not worried about the wrecking ball effect if going that route. I've loaded/unloaded some heavy and awkward stuff with slings before, but admittedly it takes some planning and patience along with steady appendages on the controls. Knowing I lack slightly on the latter, have to lean a bit heavier on the former, which wouldn't otherwise be my fortes.

Still don't even have confirmation on ship dates, but just uploaded a couple photos into my Wanted thread.

Back