What's new
What's new

Vise Recommendation?

beeser

Cast Iron
OK, got a Bridgeport mill but now need a vise for general prototyping. Any suggestions? I understand Kurt is a popular brand but which one?

Your best bet is a vise from the Kurt 'Scratch and dent' area of their site. IMHO Kurts are overpriced for what you get, the 'Scratch and dent' vises are good value though. I have a D688 which is OK.

The only other recomendation would be get an 8" opening vise.

Don't waste your time with used Kurts, people seem to ask way more than their worth.

Manual Vise, 6" w/ 8.8" opening

I'm leaning in the direction of the Kurt DX6 or the scratch and dent Kurt D688 mentioned above. The differences seem to be minor.

Kurt 688

I don't have one, but people also seem to like the Orange vises, who seem to be giving Kurt a run for their money in the innovation dept. Way overkill for a bridgeport probably, but if you get the disease, especially the CNC disease, you may thanks yourself in the long run...

Herein lies the big difference between guys like me that have made a living on a BP and the home shop guys. Back in the day, I could not afford to us a POS BP vise. They never held anything square. If I needed a part flat, I didn't want to spend any more time than I had to on a surface grinder. Hence, the Kurt vise. I've also had ocasion to use Kurt knock-offs. Waste of money.

The same goes with a lot of other gizmos that you home shop guys think you need. Most of its just sales gimics.

Get yourself a Kurt with a swivel base. Take the base off ande make keys for the vise. You may never need the swivel base, but if you do you have it. It's a lot easier to take just the vise off the table.
JR

Keep shopping. I picked up a Kurt II 6" cnc vise for $200. A local machine shop was selling all their old stuff, and retooling. The PT600 was discontinued probably 15-20 years ago. But its a great vise if you can find one, with nice flat square sides. Mine was a bit rusty, but not really pitted. Bought a rebuild kit and new jaws for it. There are plenty of deals to be had if you are patient.

Likewise, I picked up a couple tiny V0-4 Schmidt vises for about $100 each. These can be handy little devils for a host of jobs including inspection. Manual machining is a dying trade. I see lots of great hardware for sale for next to nothing, sometimes sold by people who don't know what it is, its value, or utility.

I have an orange double vise and for a double vise I think it is great and versatile. For a Bridgeport I would buy a Kurt DX6. I don't have one but they look pretty versatile and I think the prices are pretty good. I see them advertised for about $500. Heck people are selling used kurts for $300 that they painted up and put new stickers on.

Back