Wear in 2J2 speed adjustment plate - okay to weld?
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wear in 2J2 speed adjustment plate - okay to weld?

Finally got a chance to work on my faulty speed adjustment on my new to me BP. Pulled the motor and the top off, and looked more closely at the speed adjustment parts and found a good bit of wear - pics below. Not sure if this is part of the problem I've had, but could imagine that it might be causing some binding.

Easy enough to turn new sleeves and a new adjustment screw. For the plate, my first thought is to build up the wear with TIG and grind/file back to flat. Any reason this wouldn't work? Am I right in thinking all of these parts are mild steel? The plate seems to have a bit of color to it, but I can't think of any reason it would be coated with anything - ?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The sleeve #19 looks worn but functional.
    Mount the plate to the bearing housing #22. It may seem sloppy but that is part of the function of the speed change. The plate has to rock like a teter-toter as the chain is moved vertically up or down.The sleeve #19 is made naturally loose. Take a file to one. I think they are hardened.
    The plate may be mild steel but I suspect there is a carbon content present for work hardening from the stamping process. No coating, just discoloration. The plate was probably tumbled to remove burrs.
    The hole in the plate #13 should be oblong tho yours looks a little funny about 11:00. The washer on the adjuster screw looks shot and might stick in the hole....
    speed-change-plate-.jpglist-1-2-.jpg
    John

3. Likes JRIowa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. I understand the rocking motion, and this is of course the reason for the over-sized holes and the sleeves (#19 in the diagram). I'm not sure the picture does justice showing the wear on the latter - there is a LOT of wear on each of these. All of the parts shown file easily enough, so they aren't particularly hard. My bigger concern is to be sure there is not a coating on the plate that is going to give off dangerous fumes (e.g., cadmium - not that this looks like cadmium, nor is there any reason I can imagine for such).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bump - anyone else have a thought about weldability (sp?) of the plate?