What's new
What's new

What determines collet centering - the taper or the bearing diameter?

cinematechnic

Cast Iron
I'm cleaning up some solid (non spring collet) 5C adapters. One is a 5C adapter for 6 and 8 jaw Swiss scroll chucks. I also have two expanding mandrel adapters with the 3/4-16 thread. Not sure who made them, got them used and a bit dinged up. But they were essentially free, and I want to be able to put them to use.

So the questions:

1. What determines the accuracy of a collet or collet shaped adapter that fits into a machine spindle: The concentricity of the taper, the fit of the diameter of the straight shaft into the bore of the spindle, or a combination of the two?

2. I found this somewhere on the PM forum using search engine but can't find it again. Apparently for the Hardinge HLV series, one part of the taper needs to be 10º3' and the other part exactly 10º.

The only reference I've found is the Schaublin Delemont catalog showing the W31.75 collet (a 5C in metric terms) which has a 10º3' taper. That would be for the collet, not the spindle.

This may have been covered before, and yes I did try searching. But it is difficult to determine what search terms to use.

Thanks!

I'm cleaning up some solid (non spring collet) 5C adapters. One is a 5C adapter for 6 and 8 jaw Swiss scroll chucks. I also have two expanding mandrel adapters with the 3/4-16 thread. Not sure who made them, got them used and a bit dinged up. But they were essentially free, and I want to be able to put them to use.

So the questions:

1. What determines the accuracy of a collet or collet shaped adapter that fits into a machine spindle: The concentricity of the taper, the fit of the diameter of the straight shaft into the bore of the spindle, or a combination of the two?

2. I found this somewhere on the PM forum using search engine but can't find it again. Apparently for the Hardinge HLV series, one part of the taper needs to be 10º3' and the other part exactly 10º.

The only reference I've found is the Schaublin Delemont catalog showing the W31.75 collet (a 5C in metric terms) which has a 10º3' taper. That would be for the collet, not the spindle.

This may have been covered before, and yes I did try searching. But it is difficult to determine what search terms to use.

Thanks!

Meant to be the taper. Only.

However...

"Combination" only on shorts - My two nose-mount key-crankers, for example, where the pull-in is right at the collet's arse-end and IF off-center, COULD apply a forceful tilt. Neither does so, Chinese made or not, thankfully.

On a long drawtube, introduction of tilt is extremely unlikely.

"Lobing" of the closer's taper ID from long use WITH spring collets? Dunno.

Could affect a solid mount, but would not have to do. I'd certainly check that if they are not centering properly. Which is dead-easy to detect, and not terribly hard to correct. TP grinder. Careful setting to the angle, etc.

Also how well THEY were made. Which is harder. Both counts, usually.

Last edited:

Back