What's new
What's new

Will a follower rest from an HLV fit an HLVH?

gwilson

Diamond
The title ays it all. I have an HLVH(1964) and have been offered by mail the follower rest from an HLV. I need to know if it will fit my HLVH before I buy it.

The title ays it all. I have an HLVH(1964) and have been offered by mail the follower rest from an HLV. I need to know if it will fit my HLVH before I buy it.

No. The bed plate is narrower on on HLV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stradbash, not looking for a fight, but the follower bolts to the TOP surface of the carriage, 2 bolts on the left, of the cross slide and one up by the manual oil pump on the right side, I don't think bed width has anything to do with it. But I certainly could be wrong.

As far as the OP's question, I have no answer for him.

Have a good day guys,

Chris

Stradbash, not looking for a fight, but the follower bolts to the TOP surface of the carriage, 2 bolts on the left, of the cross slide and one up by the manual oil pump on the right side, I don't think bed width has anything to do with it. But I certainly could be wrong.

As far as the OP's question, I have no answer for him.

Have a good day guys,

Chris

Oh stupid me! I was thinking steady rest. Sorry!

In fact I think it will, but there will probably be more authoritative opinions than mine offered here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just gone out and measured the hole separations on my HLV follower rest. They are:-
LH rear -> front=6"
LH rear -> RH rear=7.5"
Front -> RH rear=9.6" (making it a right angle triangle)

All you've got to do now is compare those with the holes on the HLV-H carriage. :D

I've just gone out and measured the hole separations on my HLV follower rest. They are:-
LH rear -> front=6"
LH rear -> RH rear=7.5"
Front -> RH rear=9.6" (making it a right angle triangle)

All you've got to do now is compare those with the holes on the HLV-H carriage. :D

A year or so ago there was a new HLV-H follower rest on eBay. Pictured with it were installation instructions that included the need to drill and tap (I think) one new hole. I believe I saved the images from that auction and will look for them soon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 8.46.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 8.46.54 AM.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
On Sep.8-2013 a HLV follower rest identified as: HLA-6560, for a HLV lathe, sold for 226$.
I have a T-10 lathe with a follower rest identified as:TG-6560, but it doesn't fit my HLV-H.

My HLV-H came with one identified as: KL-6560, but doesn't fit either lathe: too wide.
That's it. Not much help I guess.

Looking at the drawing above, it appears to be a KL-6560, like mine and would in fact require that extra hole.

Just checked the parts catalog: PL-7A, dated Jun.1987, page 79, lists the follower rest as : HLA0006560.
This parts book is for all models of HLV including the TFB-H.

The 3 zeros in front of the # is the newer parts book; the original p/n remains the same.

Thank all of you for the info. I'd have to remove the factory installed(?) DRO to get the follower rest on my lathe. I also just bought the steady rest castings advertised here. I have been looking for a steady rest,but they are pretty expensive! I'd buy the taper attachment castings,but the T slot where it is mounted,is,once again,mostly blocked by the DRO. I ought to take it off. The dials on the machine are good enough. The DRO's only REAL use would be for determining distances between grooves,etc. along rods being machined.

In case you're looking for a taper attach. complete and brand new, still in the box, I have one; I had it in the "sale" section for a while now.
Cheers.

Herman

Herman,I'll go check that out. But,the DRO scales on my HLVH also block the T slot that runs the length of the back side of the bed. I'd much rather have the taper attachment !! Ought to take the blasted thing off as I never use it. The only real use for the dro that might have is if I had to very accurately denote some lengths along a rod,or something of that nature.

Back