What's new
What's new

Wondering if my spindle is damaged on a C head

Pelle

Plastic
My C head takes B3 slotted collets. I haven't had it very long and just today, for the first time actually looked up inside the spindle. It was really hard to tell, but it looks like the protrusion that goes into the collet slot used to be a long piece that has broken off, leaving only a tiny fragment of steel at the lowest part. All that goes into the slot is a little piece of steel maybe a couple millimeters long. I always thought that there was a long piece of steel that the collet slid into. So is it supposed to be a long piece in there, or just a little tab? Just wondering if one of these days that last little piece is going to break off. If it did, would that even be a problem? Some collets don't have the keyway at all, so I assume it would be alright. My head is from the 1930's, so is that keyway just an old thing that has come to be obsolete and the collet doesn't really need to stay put?

I know nothing of C heads, but on J heads (R8) there is a collet alignment screw, not a full length key. As to if the head is better with/without that screw, that is a borderline religious question.

OK, a "C" head is like a baby M head with no quill travel. IIRC, 1/4hp motor is it. The C collet looks like a baby R-8.

That style collet is keyed, not slotted. The is a replaceable key in the spindle. I've never had a C head apart ot know how to replace the key. You can run without them, but ometimes it is a pain to tighten the collet without the key.

Maybe somebody here has a parts explosion of the C head that will show the key. I don't have any idea if it's even available.
JR

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to get under it and look up in there, but it's just really hard to lay on the saddle and look up there. Best idea I came up with to show you is jam my finger in there and take this picture, which I just went and did now. As soon as my finger came out, I knew that it was not this little fragment I thought I saw. It is very defined and appears to be in good shape with square corners all the way around. If it's replaceable, it makes sense because measuring my finger, it winds up right under the spindle nose cap. I don't have a spanner to pull it off and look, but now that I see it's in great shape, I guess I won't worry too much anymore.

Back