What's new
What's new

XYZ edge 1000 (smal bp copy)

Billtodd

Titanium
Anyone here have any information about the XYZ Edge1000 mill?

Can't seem to find any info on the web and even my manual (bearing correct serial number etc.) pictures the wrong machine.

It has a vari speed head (reeves type) but the belt is, i believe, incorrect (supplied by xyz locally!).

It also has a prototrak 2axis cnc fitted and I'd like to add a Z axis scale to it. Does anyone know what spec it should be? (resolution, length, pin-out etc.)

Bill

Just discovered that the machine is identical to Gates PBM 1000 (and probably a load of other similar clones with 1000 in their name) .

Iif any one knows or could check the belt size ,i would be eternally grateful :-)

edit - seems im eternally grateful to Gate machinery ,they list the size on the spares page and...

just as I thought, i have the wrong belt. A 900 38/30 instead of the correct 875 38/30.

Bill

Bill,

By "prototrak 2axis cnc" do you mean protrak 2 axis DRO ? Sorry I'm stating the obvious but your DRO console will need to be 3 axis to be useful.

I found Darren Goodwin of http://www.gtprecision.co.uk/ very helpful when trying to interface a Sino to Accurite scales on my Lion 2VS (most likley very similar to your XYZ)

If you haven't already found them Spare Parts, Accessories and Tooling for CNC Machines from XYZ Machine Tools do spares the website is clunky probably easiest to call them.

Thanks Tray,

The machine has a 2 axis cnc called prototrak edge is has the (unused) option of adding a Z axis read out for the quill.

I fancy adding scales to both Quill and knee , combining them (with a DSP chip to give Q & K readout) into Z output pulses for the Prototrak (which only uses the Z in DRO mode)

Bill

Bill,

Ok I think I understand what you want to do, Goodwin may be able to help you.

As regards combining quill and knee signals I know you can buy a widget to do it but it sounds like you might be making that converster yourself ? If that is the case I would be very interested in hearing how you do it. I have x and X scales an no dedicated console - I used the 2 axis off the lathe verifiy the scales and am looking to buy a 3 axis console.

My Accurite scales need a converter cable that has a 1" x 1 1/2" box halfway along it labelled 'warranty void if opened' to interface to the Sino. I have one bu need another, at £40 ea. I'm tempted to find out what's in there - must be more that a connection swap as that could be done in the d connector.

Tony

Those little boxes can do a number of things: (often all)

Splicing - which is accurately switching high or low to convert a sinecwave output to a ttl level quarature signal.

Pulse multiplication or division - converting one resolution to another

Resolving - which is an analogue to digital conversion that takes slow low resolution (but hi accuracy) sine waves and converts them to a digital count using vector maths.

Just to complete this thread and provide a bit of useful info (not much SWI info in the web)

I have the Quill dro working now the default settings are pretty accurate using an Easson 5um glass scale. There is a conversational scale calibration option (code 123) that asks you to set up a test using gauge blocks.

The SWI prototrak Axes use 14pin AMP circular plastic connectors(CPC) by Tyco Electronics

Axis pinout is
1 - Encoder /B (wire colour yel/wht)
2 - +5v (Red)
3 - Encoder B (yellow)
4 - 115vac to servo amp (black)
5 - Screen ground
6 - 0v Servo ground (Red/Wht)
7 - enable (?)to servo amp (blk/wht)
8 - 115vac to servo amp (white)
9 - not used
10 -PWM to servo amp (brown)
11 -/PWM to servo amp (brn/wht)
12 - Encoder /A (org/wht)
13 - 0v Encoder (Black)
14 - Encoder A (Orange)

Stop / Go switch uses a 4pin AMP circular plastic connectors(CPC) by Tyco Electronics

1 - Switch contact (normally open - should have some deboucing filter)
2 - not used
3 - not used
4 - Switch contact

Bill

Back