BruceP is offline Plastic

Default Bridgeport Series II Boss 5 y-axis doesnt work

Have a Bridgeport Series II with Boss 5 control cabinet and replaced stepper motor for the Y-axis. It will attempt to move or run but just goes a 1/4 turn on pulley and stops with belt on or off. You cannot turn the motor by hand once you tried running the motor even with belt off.

Maybe i posted this in the wrong section 75 views and no answer.

BobM3 is offline Aluminum

The problems I had had with the drives were the main transistors on the axis drive boards.. I believe there's 6 of them on the board for each axis. At least a few times a year I'd have to replace one or two of them on one or two of the boards.

Modelman is online now Stainless

Your problem is you're talking about a hobbyist machine. Not many hobbyists here. I still run a Series I BOSS mill, but the original steppers are long gone. However, from various posts I read over at the "zone", where the guys who buy old industrial machines to play with them hang out, blown transistors on the driver boards are common on these machines and will result in a motor that either doesn't turn a full rev, of diddles back and forth.

Do a Google search on "zone" and "CNC" and you should find a lot of experts well versed on these antiques.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    Your problem is you're talking about a hobbyist machine. Not many hobbyists here. I still run a Series I BOSS mill, but the original steppers are long gone. However, from various posts I read over at the "zone", where the guys who buy old industrial machines to play with them hang out, blown transistors on the driver boards are common on these machines and will result in a motor that either doesn't turn a full rev, of diddles back and forth.

Do a Google search on "zone" and "CNC" and you should find a lot of experts well versed on these antiques.

Dennis
    Not a hobbyist machine, still productive machine used to machine parts for a living..has all the original style stepper motors we have had it for 20 years and this is the first time it quit working. I have checked all the driver boards for bad transistors and swapped the x circuit board with the Y board and x still works and Y doesnt. I have spent 30 hours + googling the problem and even search several other forums to no avail.

tpmx is offline Aluminum

Default Transistors

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    Not a hobbyist machine, still productive machine used to machine parts for a living..has all the original style stepper motors we have had it for 20 years and this is the first time it quit working. I have checked all the driver boards for bad transistors and swapped the x circuit board with the Y board and x still works and Y doesnt. I have spent 30 hours + googling the problem and even search several other forums to no avail.
    Are you checking the final transistors on the boards in the rear cabinet?
    You have to pull out the SMD boards(I think thats the numbers)to get to them
    Your problem sounds like a final transistor is blown.
    This is a common problem with these old controls.
    I go thru maybe 1-2 of these a year,not hard to replace,buy a few extras you will need them

Quote Originally Posted by tpmx View Post
    Are you checking the final transistors on the boards in the rear cabinet?
    You have to pull out the SMD boards(I think thats the numbers)to get to them
    Your problem sounds like a final transistor is blown.
    This is a common problem with these old controls.
    I go thru maybe 1-2 of these a year,not hard to replace,buy a few extras you will need them
    Yes sir i have checked them and yes they are behind the smd boards used and ohm meter.