What's new
What's new

bull gear shaft bearings

brnoczech

Plastic
OK guys, I am getting paranoid. I have a 1997 variable 2HP and have removed and looked at the back gear housing. I think I have correctly determined that the gear set needs to be replaced, and am replacing the bearings on the small and large gears. I have received parts from Industrial Control and Automation, which has been mentioned by many posters as a good company to do business with. Their bull gear shaft bearings are about $30 apiece, though at various suppliers mentioned on this site they run from mid $20's to over $100 apiece. I talked with Wayne prior to ordering and he said they were good Japanese bearings they had used for the past 15 years or so with good success. These are marked "Japan EZO 6908 RS". I have since discovered numerous threads on this site that caution against using non angular or non preloaded bearings (regardless of ABEC number) because they have too much play axially and radially and so permit the bull gear shaft and bull gear to wander a bit. Since the gears cost over $250 I don't want to have to replace them again anytime soon because of improper alignment or wear. Posters have suggested using 7208 SU or DB? All I find are 7208 BB.... and they are over $200 apiece. Do I need to use different bearings thanwhat I bought? and if so, could someone give me a reference to a specific source and specific part number for angular and/or preloaded?? Thanks.

Thanks

I guess I never stumbled across this site, probably trying to search for Bridgeport rather than Hardinge. On the bull gear set they charge $150. I paid $250 which was the cheapest price I could find on the net from a recommended supplier mentioned on this site. Other suppliers charged $300 to $400 for the same set. The large bearing price was $20 vs. $30 paid on the large bearings, and $4 vs. $9 paid at local bearing supplier. Going through the prices on all of the other parts I can see that for the most part the prices from Hardinge are less expensive, and this for what I assume are OEM parts. Doesn't make any sense to me, but very glad to have the site since I will probably be buying more mill parts and 5c collets in the future. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Spot checking prices on a few small parts in the quill housing BP's prices do seem to be better than those of the readily know parts suppliers. Is their (BP/Hardinge)quality on par with those other major parts suppliers?

pricing

I have wondered the same thing since the post showing the price differences. Before ordering my parts from Industrial Controls and Automation, which has been recommended by various people on this and other sites, I talked with the people there and they told me, for example, that there were only two manufacturers of the bull gears - the OEM's from Hardinge/Bridgeport, and gears made by an outfit called Quality Tools which has its own manufacturing facility next door and which sells to various distributors. This was where ICAI got the gears that I bought. The gears which I received yesterday do look to be very high quality, well machined, smooth surfaces, etc. Whether the OEMs would be comparable in quality I can't say without having new ones side by side to compare, but the differences in price are huge - $150 for the gears from Hardinge, the $250 I paid, and the $400 range that some other distributors are charging. Again, the ones I have look high quality, although I have not installed them yet. The people at ICAI were very good at returning calls and answering questions, and very candid in their responses on all the questions I had, including questions about bearings and their source for bearings and how long they had carried that particular brand. I like good service, and while I will check the Hardinge site in the future before ordering other parts, I might lean toward going back to ICAI because of my experiences on my purchase.

I've been in this business a lot of years and it always amazes me that people will not go to an OEM for parts. Most of the OEMs are down right cheap, others aren't. I always check the OEM first and if they're competative with pricing, that's where we go. There are times when the OEM is no longer in business and then you have to find somebody that is reputable. Try finding Gisholt or DeVlieg parts if you want a challenge. And if you think your parts are expensive, I've got a bearing out in a VTL that is $30K with a 20 week lead time.
JR

Back