What's new
What's new

HLV question

Peter Colman

Stainless
Hi all, I am being a Hardinge that is slightly different to others that I have seem
It is a HLV according to the plate, it was built in the UK at the London Factory but it has no screw cutting facility, the speed is adjusted by motor there is a rotating shaft below the apron that carries a set of saddle stops the topslide (compound) has retraction.
The feed motor is burnt out and it looks as though it has been in dusty storage for some time.
Can you identify it and is there an interest among UK readers in buying it.
PC

Peter, you have a model TFB for turn face bore (no threading). I have a 1960 TFB-H and the serial number begins with HLV-H. Apparently, Hardinge used the same series of serial numbers for both the HLV and the TFB. The four carriage stops were meant to be used with a four tool turret tool post, and Hardinge made three different models of those. The TFB was meant as a low volume production machine where a faster turret lathe did not fit the job. For instance, the TFB has a conventional tailstock, so it can turn between centers, a job not done on turret lathes. Turret lathe is American for capstan lathe, if you are wondering.

The TFB lathes made from 1950 to 1960 have beds about 5 inches wide. The 1960 model TFB-H has a bed about 7 inches wide. It is not practical to add HLV-type threading to a TFB, in case you are thinking of doing it. I will not say it is impossible, though, because an electronic lead screw might be done.

Larry

Thanks for the info, i think it is a TFB but it has only one lever on the headstock. Why did they fit a retracting compound slide to a machine with no screw cutting .
The problem is that I have 3 Hardinge lathes and limited room (HLV, HCT, DSM) the TFB is not mine but belongs to a dealer friend who wants to sell it, the appearance of the machine is very dusty but not rusty, my idea was to buy and break (part) it for spares if there is enough interest.
PC

Back