What's new
What's new

11x17 Laser Printer Recommendation

We just purchased a Ricoh model SP6430 DN with the optional 11x17 tray. Seems to work well over a network with 8 engineers printing to it occasionally. Quiet and quick.

I currently have a Ricoh SP 6330N. It has been very disappointing. After about a year the printing comes out with black lines all over. I talked to Ricoh service. They suspected the printer drum but the cost to replace the drum unit plus labor would be more than half the cost of the printer. I hope the SP6430 DN works well for you.

I know you said laser, but I am very satisfied with my Epson WF-7620 multifunction inkjet. Nowadays, the inks don't run if exposed to water.

The paper trays are a bit flimsy, and that's about the only downside. Scans to JPG, PDF,and one other format, the PDF is default.

Goes up to 13 by 19, I recall.

For single-use printers, HP LaserJet's in the 4xx and 5xx or higher series are the only ones I touch. HP, like everyone else, makes garbage in the low-end consumer lines, but the 4xx and above are quite good and rugged as an anvil. You'll have to do some digging to find the models that do 11X17 (Tabloid).

I'm not a fan of MFP machines from anyone...they tend to be flaky and the drivers are poor.

I have a very old HP 8500 series color laserjet- does 11 x 17 ink cartridges last about a year. I hate to guess what it cost new- bought it cheap at auction and get cartridges and parts off ebay. I have not looked at new ones in years.... but my guess is anything worthwhile is going to be spendy.

I've been looking at a Xerox 7100N. One of my clients has one of these for about 4 years now. They haven't had any problems. User reviews on Amazon aren't so kind.

Consider a copier with printer capability. I don't know what things are like on Hawaii, but here there are office machine dealers who resell used lease machines with lots of life left for reasonable prices. Last year I bought a Ricoh MP CL3000 color copier with 3 paper trays, document feeder, duplexer, booklet finisher, stapler, etc for ~$3000 and connected it to my network. It also scans to disk, and has the option to be used as a fax machine. It has warned me that one of the color toners was low ever since I bought it but the original toners are still in there a year later and we do a fair amount of color.
I'd think a black only machine without all the options might be available for what you are considering paying for the xerox machine, and be longer lived because of heavier construction.
Also - There are dealers who advertise all over Craigslist and will refurbish and ship a machine to you.

For single-use printers, HP LaserJet's in the 4xx and 5xx or higher series are the only ones I touch. HP, like everyone else, makes garbage in the low-end consumer lines, but the 4xx and above are quite good and rugged as an anvil. You'll have to do some digging to find the models that do 11X17 (Tabloid).

I'm not a fan of MFP machines from anyone...they tend to be flaky and the drivers are poor.

Have HP drivers gotten any better? I swore off HP for life about 10 years ago after spending about 4 hours trying to get an HP print driver installed. Ever since I have been buying brother printers with no complaints.

Most of my clients that want a new single function printer solution, seem to use Ricoh and have had good luck on longevity. If you are looking for used, than I agree the old HP LaserJets are great! BIG!!!! but great.

I have an HP8000, bought for $80 off ebay, added extra memory and a duplexer for another $40, it had print total of 1,100,000, so it's good for another 2,000,000 prints, great on 11x17's, fast, and with the duplexor you can print double sided. The HP8100 is similar. IMHO HP is the only way to go. Around here on ebay or CL $100-$200 is the going price. It is heavy though.

Back