What's new
What's new

3D export/import preference

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys

I guess the time has come that I need to get solid models from one of my customers rather than a blueprint for some of the pretty complex parts.
Till now it wasn't a necessity, but now we're asked to make some of the really complex housings. I tend to get smarter but much much clumsier with age, so in order to avoid the stupid thick-finger and dyslexic mistakes, I've asked them to send a solid model along with the print. Reluctantly, they've agreed. They use Pro/E, while I have Solidworks.
Can someone recommend the best all-around export method for translation?

I did get the model in Iges format. Pretty much everything was there but the threaded holes had to be eliminated and a couple surfaces welded.
They've also tried to send native Pro/E as Solidworks supposed to be able to import it, but it keeps showing "incomplete section" during the import.
After looking at the file itself, it was only about 2KB, so I'm guessing they have sent something bogus.
Anyway, rather new to the 3D translation realm ( green as Shiit to be accurate ), I would like to find out if one format is better than the other from your experience.

Thanks

I have had good luck using the parasolids (.x_t) translator from Solidworks to Mastercam. Pro E should be able to output parasolids. .Igs works but can be spotty sometimes as you've already seen.
Dave

Seymour
Ask them for an .X_T file. Or a parasolid
I have not had bad experiences with Step files either.
IGES has long been know as "I GUESS" files

I agree. It's always best to getit in the closest to the native formet. If your not having luck with the Pro-E file direct, I'd go with the generic Parasolid x_t file.

Mike Mattera

I agree with the Parasolid XT or XB files. I've never had a problem with them.

A customer of mine uses ProE, and they send step (.stp) files that work equally as well.

IGES is absolutely horrible.

For reading ProE files into SolidWorks I would vote for (in order of preference)
Parasolid (X_T)
STEP
Native ProE
IGES

Doug Pryor
David Wolfe Design, Inc.

An old post but I want to chime in on this one - the best format is always the native (Pro/E in this case), then the geometric modeling kernel, then STEP, then last of all, IGES. This order is almost always the best way to go. In this case, the modeling kernel for Pro/E is .G (Granite), which SOLIDWORKS will not read, so that one wont work. Anyway, here's the order:

1. Native format
2. Geometric Modeling Kernel file (examples include Parasolid and ACIS)
3. Neutral formats (STEP and then IGES)

Here's a good rundown of this philosophy: The CAD Format Ladder Part 1 - TransMagic

Back