What's new
What's new

5 Axis Mill

JackElmore

Plastic
We are starting to look into software for a new machine we are ordering. I would like to know what is popular for 5 axis programming. The options we are considering are Mastercam (my background), GibbsCam (a co-worker's background), and at the suggestion of the machine salesman, fusion 360. Most 5 axis operations will be indexing to machine cores and cavities with inconvenient details on an angle. Possibly some 5 axis surfacing toolpaths in the future.
So, if anyone has experience with these programs I would like to hear about it as well as other programs that may be good but not on our radar.
Thanks,
Jack

Depends on the machine as well...

Mastercam purports to have a post for the Haas UMC750 for example... yet it doesnt work very well without some fixing (extensive IMO). Seems to me it should be boilerplate for them, after all how much more commonplace can you get than Mastercam and Haas.

I have had my most success with Siemens NX for full 5 axis.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Get the post from Productivity, it should be bulletproof. The one I got from them for my VF-3SS with a TR-160Y trunnion is. Programming it with Mastercam, almost entirely 3+2 since that's what the parts want, but I know a lot of people doing complicated full-5 with it, and with excellent results. From what I hear about Fusion 360 it isn't much better than hobby grade, though I'm sure someone will disagree. If you want more options to consider I have heard good things about Top Solid.

If you know Mastercam/Your guy knows Gibbs, and you are just doing simple 3+2 it should be fairly easy to get the hang of using what you know. By simply using a number of work offsets, or programing from the center line of the trunion(?), you can keep using the software in nearly the exact same way you already do. It may take a post update/learning who to use a post if you don't want to do any hand editing. If your machine is well enough endowed, and you can better learn to use the software (and set up the machine correctly), you can program without regard to the centerline of the trunion. When you rotate both axes to positions that are not 90 degrees to normal, expect the math to get a little harder. If you set your tool/work offsets the way some people have been taught, you will have a bad time at this level.

Fusion is quite easy to use for 3+2 axis indexing, but their simultaneous 5-axis cutter paths for mold/die work you may find lacking. However, if your "inconvenient details" includes concave corners requiring a lot of rest milling tool paths, you'll want to skip Fusion and check out more advanced options.

does cnc have dynamic work offset shifting ? many horizontal cnc are programmed always like a vertical mill as rotary table rotates part the G55 X Y Z B offsets automatically shift and are math compensated to the new rotation position.
hard to explain. otherwise spindle can be pointing in X Y or Z directions and towards + or - direction effecting G17, G18, G19, G43, G44, G41, G41 and G2 and G3 rotation direction CW CCW............ gets complicated fast

Thank you all for the replies. I think we are going to hold off on buying anything right now and see what we will need once we have the machine on the floor and understand it better.
Thanks,
JE

Back