What's new
What's new

Adaptive clearing

dlewis1000

Plastic
I'm new to inventor hsm. With the adaptive clearing tool path it keeps attempting to go down into the hole of my part even though its already cleared and finished. Also when using the 2d adaptive clearing why does it not spiral out from the center on holes. Instead it spirals out and then does some weird trochoidal movements in the hole.

Untitled.jpg

I'm new to inventor hsm. With the adaptive clearing tool path it keeps attempting to go down into the hole of my part even though its already cleared and finished. Also when using the 2d adaptive clearing why does it not spiral out from the center on holes. Instead it spirals out and then does some weird trochoidal movements in the hole.

View attachment 161715

You have to tell it not to go into the holes By using the machining boundaries. Also adaptive is the type of tool path, if you want a clean helical spiral rough you need to use pocket or bore.

You have to tell it not to go into the holes By using the machining boundaries. Also adaptive is the type of tool path, if you want a clean helical spiral rough you need to use pocket or bore.

How would i use the boundaries for this part. Im so used to mastercam. Inventor hsm is a way bigger headache then i thought it'd be.

How would i use the boundaries for this part. Im so used to mastercam. Inventor hsm is a way bigger headache then i thought it'd be.

Yeah I'm a featurecam guy but the new shop I'm at bought inventor hsm. I've been blowing up my support guys email for the last 3 weeks ��.

Anyway you have to make a sketch and draw boundaries that you don't want machined, then go into boundaries on your adaptives 2nd tab and click them. Pretty sure this is how I did it...

Yeah I'm a featurecam guy but the new shop I'm at bought inventor hsm. I've been blowing up my support guys email for the last 3 weeks ��.

Anyway you have to make a sketch and draw boundaries that you don't want machined, then go into boundaries on your adaptives 2nd tab and click them. Pretty sure this is how I did it...

You probably don't need to draw sketches.

Is this Inventor HSM Express or the full blown deal? 3D Adaptive will be a much nicer toolpath as it's model-aware and you can use Rest Machining options that look at the previous toolpaths. The 2D features are not, and most of the time you can define areas using part geometry. Every once in a while you do have to draw a sketch, but after using HSMXpress (in SW) for the last year before we just picked up HSMWorks I got pretty good at avoiding extraneous sketches.

Edit: BMX, downhill or freeride? :D

Edit 2: I can see this is 3D Adaptive Clearing so definitely the full version. Can you make a screencast of your simulation, or take some shots of your geometry selection tab and model? I also highly recommend the Autodesk CAM forum here: https://camforum.autodesk.com/

If you've got some free time tomorrow I'd be willing to set up a part and program some operations to help get you started in either HSMWorks or Fusion 360 (all the basics are the same, but I believe the geometry selection in Fusion is much more similar to InvHSM).

Send me a PM if you have questions. There are definitely a few other HSM users on the forum too.

You probably don't need to draw sketches.

Is this Inventor HSM Express or the full blown deal? 3D Adaptive will be a much nicer toolpath as it's model-aware and you can use Rest Machining options that look at the previous toolpaths. The 2D features are not, and most of the time you can define areas using part geometry. Every once in a while you do have to draw a sketch, but after using HSMXpress (in SW) for the last year before we just picked up HSMWorks I got pretty good at avoiding extraneous sketches.

Edit: BMX, downhill or freeride? :D

Edit 2: I can see this is 3D Adaptive Clearing so definitely the full version. Can you make a screencast of your simulation, or take some shots of your geometry selection tab and model? I also highly recommend the Autodesk CAM forum here: https://camforum.autodesk.com/

It wouldn't let me log in to post for some reason the other day at work...! Luckily I use a 1" end mill to rough so I don't have to worry too much about adaptive going into holes like this. There was one part I've had this issue with. Was going back in with the 1/8 em into already reamed holes with rest machining. If there's a way to not have to draw sketches I'd like to know!

Suppress the holes feature?

Patching it is easier and that can be made invisible and the geometry still selected for boring/drilling/whatever. Add the patch to the Model selections in the toolpath and it'll avoid it entirely. I hate suppressing features if it can be avoided (with the exception of chamfers which are easier to make without being modeled).

I am also a long time Mastercam user struggling to learn HSM pro. I have found that some of the toolpaths in HSM are very straightforward and intuitive, like the 3d adaptive IMO. Just setup the tool, click a couple parameters and done. I really really like that part. :D What I absolutely hate (so far) is having to create a 'sketch' to do anything. For fucks sake why do I need to open a new tab and all the other BS?! In Mastercam if I need a boundary or whatever I just draw it around the part/solid. No switching tabs, no opening the 'sketch' menu, I just draw it clickclickclick now I have my boundary. Just the other day I was having a hell of a time trying to do a 2d pocket (would be the equivalent of open pocket in MCX), it just would not create it. :angry: I ended up having to use a 3d path to get it to do what I wanted, which I guess works, but I have not figured out why the 2d pocket would not work. I have found in Mastercam I sometimes (long time user so I know alot of the ins and outs and various quirks) get a junk toolpath, but at least it generates a damn toolpath so I can see if my geometry is screwed up, or I set a parameter wrong! Rant over haha...

I am seriously investing myself in learning HSM, and I am sure the more I use it the better I will get. Hell, maybe one day I will know it well enough that the problems I see now will be just like the "quirks" I deal with in Mastercam. :)

Back