What's new
What's new

Adding Pattern and Proper Tool Path Selection to CAD\CAM

Tbev

Aluminum
I have been attacking it the only wway I know how , by importing a vector (svg) and applying toolpaths. I could be totally wrong about this, it seems to me there may be an easier way to do a pattern...?

So I have couple honeycomb svg files that I am trying to outline. ( Id like to make the lines of the pattern with a 1/8in bsll end mill and the entire pattern on a 4x6in piece on aluminum . ....0.010in deep)

Trying to write the tool paths, I cant get it to run a single tool path over the center of each line, it keeps outlining each line., I have tried TRACE and PROJECT and SLOT actions. Here are couple screen shots. Any help is appreciated.

I believe it is in the second picture attached, while selecting the tool path, the line, it has selected the line, everywhere it is attached or making a single line, but it has also incorporated a couple sections that should be separate tool paths, you can see there is a lot of bule over some lines that should be separate. Any enlightenment on this would be appreciated as well..

As always thanks in advance for the help.

ea834ef649f7882ffff1fdfac9bf5ca8.jpg

I'm wondering if I need to make the vector file different, or I can select a tool path that will go down the center of the line rather than each side.

I would like to engrave this pic as well in the same manner, on the side of a block of aluminum
e4a52018160f80596f145efc30361d09.jpg

Thanks

d6bfe08993b0292d77a408800e039169.jpg
I'm trying a similar pattern to this with the same results.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of cadcam you are using, maybe you need to step it up a notch? Pretty elementary problem handled easily by many systems, using an engraving style toolpath, not a profiling toolpath.

I'm sorry I should have said that, I'm using fusion 360, I am very new to it. I have tried an Engraving , tracing tool path and a slotting b tool path actually and it's all outlining the pattern not running over the center of the lines, I'm thinking there's a setting to "trace" the "center" of a line, or maybe I need to change the way the vector is setup?

I'm sorry I should have said that, I'm using fusion 360, I am very new to it. I have tried an Engraving , tracing tool path and a slotting b tool path actually and it's all outlining the pattern not running over the center of the lines, I'm thinking there's a setting to "trace" the "center" of a line, or maybe I need to change the way the vector is setup?

Use a Trace toolpath.

Trace.jpg

Is there something I'm missing with a trace tool path it outlines evert line as opposed to making a single pass over each line, is there a check box or an option I'm missing , I feel like it should be a pretty easy thing to do.. I appreciate the help.

Is there something I'm missing with a trace tool path it outlines evert line as opposed to making a single pass over each line, is there a check box or an option I'm missing , I feel like it should be a pretty easy thing to do.. I appreciate the help.

Make sure you have the sideways compensation set to center.

Oh thank you, I hope that does ut, that totally sounds right to me! Thank you @csharp much appreciated!

Here's a screen grab, if you would be so kind as to tell me if I'm missing anything that's obvious you can see, I'd appreciate it. Here's the pattern I'm currently working on, and a pic of the original jpeg.
sidecomp.jpgskullhidden.jpg

This is another pattern that I wound like to do as a single line on the center of each pentagon, not one mine on the inside and one line on the outside of each pentagon.comp2lines.JPG

I'm using Inkscape, its a free illustrator wannabe, I've only had it for a day or two, I've been trying to learn how to use it to draw vectors to use for engraving /cutting patterns . I suscessfully did a couple logo engravings that I paid a guy from fiverr to convert the jpg's to svg's but I'm trying to learn it myself.
Do I need to draw it different in Inkscape, there's now way to do a single tool path on a line drawn like that. It's basically the same as a font that's fill or outlined, trying to do a single pass tool path on an vector of a outline style font? Are my thoughts in the right ballpark?

This is the one I did from an svg bone from a jpg by a guy on fiverr.
a4492f8e5ab1fa117c9dd5f3ccf7aa80.jpg

That's good to know, thanks Doug. I'm using fusion 360 and it may be different now but they were only working with svg....dfx was what I originally tried to use on some logos a couple months ago and the autodesk guys told me I needed to go with svg, not dfx. Maybe they have it fixed by now however, I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm learning cad/cam myself and I just started playing with Inkscape a couple days ago, appreciate the tips.

You can definitely import a DXF into a sketch now. Did it on Wednesday. I'm actually trying to learn Inkscape too, although I don't really want to :D

Sweet, thanks @atomkinder. I spent a lot of time with dxf before they told me. Maybe I'll get better lines going that route.

Back