What's new
What's new

"Affordable" 3D CAD package options?

Kevin Wilkins

Cast Iron
I'm looking for an affordable - which means not more than about $2000 - 3D CAD package with which I can do 3D models of simple knife blades. The models would then be exported into another CAM program for production.

The CAM side is covered.

I would like to use boolean functions to add and subtract shapes to creat hollow and flat ground surfaces. I also need to produce 3D fixtures to supports parts for further machining.

A friend demonstrated how this cam be done with Solid Works. Cool. The price is a little out of my reach. Inventor could also do the job... but the price.

I am looking at Alibre and Rhino, both of which seem to be able to do the job and are not too expensive. I have demos of both. Rhino seems more targeted to free form 3D objects, such as animals, etc. Right now I am leaning toward Alibre.

Are there any other programs anyone can suggest I look at?

Thanks for your input!

Kevin,

I have both of those programs and you will want both for what you are trying to do. They are excellent. Alibre is very comparable to SolidWorks for a fraction of the cost. It will allow you to design fixtures very quickly. For subtle 3d geometry such as a hollow ground knife blade you will need Rhino. It will be much easier to do your surface creation in rhino.

I will try to post a photo of a knife design I was playing with as a learning project in Rhino. You could design and build fixtures in Rhino but as it is not parametric it will be slower because you won't be able to just change a dimension to change your model.

Here goes another possible failed attempt.....

detail

or maybe just....
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/detail?.dir=/5664&.dnm=baddscd.jpg&.src=ph&.tok=phE7AlEBXADMoBFe

Hope this helps.

Rhino seems more targeted to free form 3D objects, such as animals, etc.
Maybe not targeted, but definitely more capable. We have 18 seats of Rhino, and have been using it since 2001, and have yet to draw an animal. Lots of fixtures for the automotive industry, but sadly, no animals.

Dan

Thanks for the info. Form Z look interesting too. Do you know more or less what it costs? There is no price on the website. I will download the demo and check it out further.

Interesting that Rhinoceros also does technical drawings well. I have had a few issues with the screen redraw in the demo version.

I won't be able to get both... it'll be a strech to get one! Which is one eason I am taking it slow and checking things out.

I appreciate the advice so far!

Hammer,

Have you tried Rhino? I can not endorse it strong enough....

which means not more than about $2000
I've seen Rhino as low as $795 on line and Alibre is $995 on their site. I don't know if you get a mark up in germany...you may have to go thru resellers.

Interesting that Rhinoceros also does technical drawings well. I have had a few issues with the screen redraw in the demo version.
Kevin, can you elaborate on this. Perhaps I can help you solve this.

I've seen Rhino as low as $795 on line
Look at www.ob.com
Robert has some of the best prices on Rhino, and is a very trusted site (He is our only source for all Rhino related products. I have purchased from him at least a dozen times, without a single incident)

I have also purchased a DataKit translator from Novedge, and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again either.

Dan

Kevin,
You may want to also look at Vectorworks. It is below your price cap, has 3D features, and is Mac/Windows. I use it, but I don't do 3D very often, so I'm just suggesting you check it out.

I use Solidworks but I took the web based sales pitch on Alibre last year and was impressed with its capabilities compared to Solidworks. A customer asked me what I would recommend and told him that I thought it was one of the best values for the money. They were running a $500 off special til the end of the month so I think he bought it.

[ 03-27-2006, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: jstolaruk ]

Alibre does look good. Over here it costs a good deal more than in the USA but is still a bargain.

I think my Rhino problem was more "user error" than a real program problem.

I still haven't found the time to really do the tutorials for either Rhino or Alibre. There just ain't enough hours in the day.

Back