Any ideas for a cylindrical part made with stock 3.5 in length, and 2-7/8 diameter?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Any ideas for a cylindrical part made with stock 3.5 in length, and 2-7/8 diameter?

My school had a bunch of this size steel round stock donated to them. I was just looking for useful things that could be made out of stock that size. Our shop has 2 CNC and 2 Manual lathes and we would like to put all of them to good use. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe an oversized chess piece? Like a Rook?

3. Likes bob1352, iMillJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3.5" x 2.875" yes? Mild steel? I really like closed containers which thread together since you get to bore out pockets and make male and female threads. I just made a kind of WW1 grenade but from the video game Team Fortress II with my son (google Ullapool Caber). We did male and female 42mm threads, the latter in a brass ring that got pressed and laser welded into a brass tube with a cap so it makes a secret compartment. He's 14. I told him at some point he could keep condoms in it.

I'm not sure what would be a good use in this size range though, especially since mild steel isn't ideally food safe. Whatever you do, get a fresh black oxide kit e.g. from Caswell, and coat them. They will look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw them in half, make copies of this Starrett bench block? https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-129-.../dp/B0006J4E4S Would be best (if the material is mild steel) to get them deep case hardened afterwards so they'd hold up. Not sure how brittle the final case would be.

6. Likes moldcore liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could make belt pulleys out of them: v groove, poly-vee, etc. for alternators, furnace fan motors. Also could make taper lock bushings out of them.