What's new
What's new

Anyone Have Experience with PowerMILL Robot?

Johnny SolidWorks

Hot Rolled
We're still struggling with a particular application, and because 6 axis robots is a big part of what we do, we're taking another look at using one with a home-brew spindle mounted on it to do very light machining of extremely complex geometry. When it was tried in the past, it was done without any sort of real CAM or machine programming experience, so the results were about what you would expect on complex geometry - very poor. No feed/speed control, so chip load was all over the place, tons of chatter, etc.

As I understand it, AutoDesk PowerMILL used to be Delcam? Or is still Delcam? Not real clear on that. Information on the program has been very hard to come by.

Anyone ever used it? Been around it? Seen a 6-axis robot actually do a halfway decent job in a real machining application?

What robots are you using? What material? 6-axis machining w/ industrial robots is particularly difficult because robots are not very rigid. You may get away with some very light cuts, but it's still going to be difficult. Depending on the robot brand, you could also run out of memory quickly, and have to resort to drip feeding... I only know of RobotMaster, RoboDK, and Powermill for this kind of work. Let me know some more details.

Back