What's new
What's new

Anyone using BOBCAD for WIRE-EDM?

moldmaker96

Plastic
Taking a look on the BOBCAD website at their WEDM program (BOB-WIRE) and it looks pretty nice. We are using Surfcam currently, but not exactly thrilled with it, especially since the post-processor cost is so high to do taper and 4-axis cutting. As such, we are sending everything out that requires this type of machining, which is irritating. Our machine is a 1997 Mitsubishi FX10.

According to the website, the post-processors are all included in the cost (about $2K), and can be downloaded. This sounds good....but is it really that easy?

What has been your experience with the software itself, and also with the company and support/training?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Mold maker,

Let me send you a trail that will allow you to post code. This way you can test the software yourself. We currently have 2 version for you to choose from V19 and V23. Are are in processes of updating our wire software to run on our current version and it will be out latter this year.

So the best thing I can do at this time is send you a like to download the software so you can do some testing. After you have tested the software and are confident that it works with your machine and support your application we can talk about getting you into a seat.

Please email me your contact information al(at)bobcad (.) com

moldmaker96 -
I use it daily. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have from a user's standpoint.
I use it with a Mitsi 90C, 90HA, and FX20. Have programmed and used for other Mitsis as well.

Depending on what you need it to do, you could go with either choice.
V19 is GREAT for _relatively_ simple set ups and cutting, and once familiar with it, one can do quite a lot. It's strength is that is VERY fast for program creation right out of the gate.
V23/24 is powerful enough, but click happy in my personal opinion. Takes a lot more mouse clicks and key strokes to make it happy. BUT... it's a little more configurable and powerful.

Both can do complex geometry, but if you do a lot of complex spline work there is a minor bug that you'll need to be aware of and work around.
I've spoken with Al at length about this and while it is a minor concern if you need complex spline accuracy it's not a deal breaker, especially considering the price.

Feel free to PM or mail.

Al,

Thanks for the reply.
Would I be able to post code and actually cut something with the trial software?

Thanks!

*EDIT*
Just saw you answered this in your response above. Thanks.

Zahnrad,

Thanks for the response and offer of your help. I will certainly be in contact if we go with BOBCAD.

We don't really get into complex splines, but alot of tapered holes, pockets, and side-walls. Looking forward to keeping more work in-house.

I see no one has addressed the training and support so I'll take a swing at that one. I am a premium support member and have zero complaints about their handling of issues I've had. I find it hard to believe that it could be done better. Always prompt responses from knowledgeable people. all software is a little different and it was a little challenging shifting to their way of doing things but I also got the DVD training package that I referred back 2 as I was learning. The 3 day seminar they have was worthwhile also although I would suggest spending sometime with the DVDs before you go so you know what you need help on. Oh and you don't want to miss the opportunity to meat Sorin. hes the trainer. Knows the product very well and is, lets say, a very interesting personality. I say 2 thumbs up!

(no I don't work for Bobcad :) )

Something to add -

A lot of people are very ... ummmm... skeptical and cautious about BobWire because of the pricing and other factors.
What many people do not realize/understand is that there is really only a handful of companies that actually create the routines/code for CAM systems
out there and that most of the CAM companies buy their routines/code from them and integrate them into their own software packages/wrappers.

If one has any doubt, you can easily compare some of the CAM systems out there and immediately find REMARKABLE similarities to other software packages.
In the case of BobWire, V19 ( and earlier ) is an almost clone of Germany's Vector and V23/24 is an almost clone of CAMWorks.

I used to have a strong dislike of how BobCAD used to be run. I would not go out of my way to voice it, but when asked I was not shy about saying so, either.
In the time that Al's been around, he seems to have almost single-handedly turned them around for the better. To the point that I wouldn't have a single problem
patronizing them if I had the need. Knowing that, I'd have to wonder about someone that would spend more money for the same thing just because they don't like a name.

In fact, I've been pestering the hell out of Al for a release date for the new WEDM module. < poke, poke... > :stirthepot: :)

Mold maker,

Let me send you a trail that will allow you to post code. This way you can test the software yourself. We currently have 2 version for you to choose from V19 and V23. Are are in processes of updating our wire software to run on our current version and it will be out latter this year.

So the best thing I can do at this time is send you a like to download the software so you can do some testing. After you have tested the software and are confident that it works with your machine and support your application we can talk about getting you into a seat.

Please email me your contact information al(at)bobcad (.) com

PM sent.....thanks

" Oh and you don't want to miss the opportunity to meat Sorin. hes the trainer. Knows the product very well and is, lets say, a very interesting personality. "

You Think ?
Took the class in Reno at the end of last year.Great Guy.

I use V23 for an older Agie WEDM and it has served me well. I have heard and read how great some of the other programs are, but I am a very small time operator and they are all out of my reach and even if they weren't I don't think I could justify the difference in cost. Bobwire gets the job done for me.

Gary

I used BW v16 for a few years to program my sodick wire , but changed to Onecnc partly to save cutting conditions and partly as Onecnc was way better on the milling side that i was just getting in to.

IMHO there isnt that much in it between all the standard wire packages (generally its ticking a box for each company) just price and GUI that suits best is what it comes down to. Unless you go for one of the two topguns "PEPS" or " Esprit" which are light years ahead but unfortunately in price too !! :)

Cheers Kev :cool:

I'm not KevH, don't play him on TV, and haven't slept at a Holiday Inn for many, many years now, but early versions of BobWire did not retain the Cut Conditions entered by the operator, in the software, for use later. Cut Conditions are what we Mitsi users call Epacks. Later versions of BobWire utilized a database, so that once you entered the Epack info, it would automagically pull it up the next time you were cutting similarly. ( stock type, thickness, wire size, etc... ) Most other software packages for WEDM call it Cut Conditions.

Well just wondering if I can get a copy of the demo, just got a Mitsubishi EDM here and would like to try Bobcad for our CAM on it.

TIA

Thanks for the fast response Jrmach.

I've been to BC site before but didn't check the download area! Working on it right now!

:D

moldmaker96 -
I use it daily. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have from a user's standpoint.
I use it with a Mitsi 90C, 90HA, and FX20. Have programmed and used for other Mitsis as well.
Feel free to PM or mail.

Hello Zahnrad! We took the plunge and purchased BobCAD V26 Wire EDM software. I am trying to do 4-AXIS burning, but having some trouble getting the correct angles to generate. Would you be able to send me some posted code for any 4-AXIS cut you know works? I need to compare it to my current results to see what changes need to be made to the standard post-processor.
Thank you very much for your help!

I used v16 for a lot of years running a Charmilles, never had a problem. :) This probably doesn't help you much as the Charmilles had no need for the CAM package to generate any cut settings, I picked those at the machine, as well as editing the code for tapers and such. I have no experience in 4 axis wire so can't comment on that either.

You should certainly take a look at Opticam, which used to be Peps. It spits out code flawlessly, ready to go to the machine without another look. Kieth Davis is the man to talk to.

Back