What's new
What's new

Anyone using Ironcad?

Polishpiper

Aluminum
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone out there is using Ironcad, who was previously using solidworks. We're hiring a draftsman that has experience with pro-e and solid works, and want to select the right drafting program for our application. Right now all of our working prints are in 2d Autocad format. Looking for a couple things we want in our draft package. Right now our assemblies are pretty simple, and our goal is to have models available to oems through website. What I'm afraid of is double documentation and how avoid this. If we make a change to a model feature that has a similar feature across a group of parts, I want to make sure the changes are made globally in the working or dimensional drawings. Right now we don't have an issue as we only have one file... The working drawing. I've downloaded the ironcad trial, and really do like the speed of creating the model (I have zero experience with 3d modeling, I'm a sticks and circles Autocad guy). I just don't know if the slight learning curve for our draftsman to a new program is justified vs going with solidworks. Anyone here have experience with both, and can way the positives and negatives? I'd like an unbiased view, which I can't get from either of the salesmen :). Thanks!

I used it a trial at work.. 60 days total on and on but I can't get used to the GUI. The software itself is pretty powerful but minor things bug such as the rotation it's goofy feels different compared to fusion, solidworks and inventor. I/we decided not to forward with purchase because of just bugs to much and the software isn't to stable.. Fusion is working well for us honestly.

Haven't touched it in the last 10 years but it was what we used for my mechanical drawing class at Purdue. Most of us students didn't care much for using it beyond making pretty models. Personally I stuck with good old AutoCAD but most of my old classmates went with Solidworks, Catia, or ProE.

Haven't touched it in the last 10 years but it was what we used for my mechanical drawing class at Purdue. Most of us students didn't care much for using it beyond making pretty models. Personally I stuck with good old AutoCAD but most of my old classmates went with Solidworks, Catia, or ProE.

If you are fresh out of college at a young age - do yourself a favor and don't get too attached to Autocad. If you're going for a ME degree, your classmates picked wisely. Autocad is already a dinosaur - don't embrace obsolescence. If you're just a mechanical designer/drafter, and your resume mainly says "Autocad" you are -severely- limiting your marketability.

Not trying to market myself as a designer/ engineer. My forte' is in wood science and production processes in that area. I'll let my classmates be glued to a computer screen and I'll solve issues on the shop floor that can't be seen in any CAD.

The software itself is pretty powerful but minor things bug such as the rotation it's goofy feels different compared to fusion, solidworks and inventor. I/we decided not to forward with purchase because of just bugs to much and the software isn't to stable.

This is the first negative comment I've seen about Ironcad.

Could you give some specific examples of bugs and instability?

Thanks

For me the big question is: when you need another user can you find one? Used Solid Edge at my last job, couldn't find another user no how in our area. At this job as the first user the decision was easy Solidworks. Was it better than Solid Edge, nope about the same capabilty done in slightly different ways. Need new user? Absolutely no problem, have had 3 interns and just hired a young engineer all with SW experience

LONG time IronCad user...

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone out there is using Ironcad, who was previously using solidworks. We're hiring a draftsman that has experience with pro-e and solid works, and want to select the right drafting program for our application. Right now all of our working prints are in 2d Autocad format. Looking for a couple things we want in our draft package. Right now our assemblies are pretty simple, and our goal is to have models available to oems through website. What I'm afraid of is double documentation and how avoid this. If we make a change to a model feature that has a similar feature across a group of parts, I want to make sure the changes are made globally in the working or dimensional drawings. Right now we don't have an issue as we only have one file... The working drawing. I've downloaded the ironcad trial, and really do like the speed of creating the model (I have zero experience with 3d modeling, I'm a sticks and circles Autocad guy). I just don't know if the slight learning curve for our draftsman to a new program is justified vs going with solidworks. Anyone here have experience with both, and can way the positives and negatives? I'd like an unbiased view, which I can't get from either of the salesmen :). Thanks!
There once was a rich investor (G Paul Allen, co-founder of MicroSoft) that wanted to bring "CAD to the masses", so he invested in a company that introduced TriSpectives Technical in 1995-6ish. 3D CAD that worked on windows 3.11/95!!! I purchased this in 1997 for $318USD and it was the 2.0 version, with mechanical parts library disc included! At the time I was 'competent' in Pro/E and had designed a few parts. But Trispectives had the TriBall and worked on a Packard Bell machine I had---not the Sun Sparc Station(?) that was available only at the local university. AMAZING bit of kit for the time! TriSpective allowed me to create my first few SLA 3D parts and design my first two parts that were later injection molded.
I don't remember the actual time, early oughts???, but IronCAD purchased TriSpective Technical---guess the Masses didn't give a sh!t about 3D CAD after all, did they G Paul? Anyway, my $300ish software program required a hefty many thousand dollar upgrade. Pissed off, for sure. But the limitations of TriSpectives was gone...how many parts, how big...it was a real CAD program! By that time I must have had 5-7 years design experience on the platform; so 'changing' wasn't something I wanted to do.
My previous business---I designed and manufactured cinema accessories--was totally powered by IronCAD and MastercamX5. They don't work together as well as Fusion360 does with CAD/CAM, but the work flow was not obstructed.
I would recommend IronCAD for it's 3D abilities. It has CAXA drafting---the Chinese bought them a few years back---but to be honest, I do everything in 3D modeling, then part blue print in their IronCAD Draft.
As for the glitch/bug issues, I had this on a project in 2015-6...but the file was of a machine that was 200' x 40' b 16' tall, with 9000+ moving parts. The tech support is great--Kevin was tops--and a product update solves all issues.
Price? I believe $3500 plus $1500 annual support.
I could not have designed the previous machine as quickly (4 months) as I did in another environment. Full disclosure, I have a connexion Space Pilot Pro, large trackball from Kensington, and customized my buttons and IronCAD GUI for fast workflow.

OTM2017, thanks for that bit of history, which I was unaware of or had forgotten. I was a TriSpectives user and grandfathered into the original release of IronCAD. I let ICAD lapse after a few releases (just after the sheet metal feature package, IIRC), but they were definitely making serious strides with the SW, both in terms of full engineering process integration (e.g., BOM and assembly cross-linkage to external production databases) and in the 3D modeling capabilities.

Generally I use Rhino for my "casual CAD" these days, but if I were doing a families of parts, feature-based design, or needed assembly-interference checking, IronCAD would be near the top of my list.

Yes, I forgot about the BOM feature. Works amazing...just remember to name EVERY part while designing---I missed entire machine section; worst three days of design life!
Lucky you for the free upgrade; changed my email during the cross over and missed out.
BTW, forum, what does a full Solidworks package cost?

For me the big question is: when you need another user can you find one? Used Solid Edge at my last job, couldn't find another user no how in our area. At this job as the first user the decision was easy Solidworks. Was it better than Solid Edge, nope about the same capabilty done in slightly different ways. Need new user? Absolutely no problem, have had 3 interns and just hired a young engineer all with SW experience

Good point. If you go with Pro-E (Creo) or Solidworks, chances are you can find someone, when needed, without too much difficulty.

I bought the 2017 version for home use. I have limited experience with AutoCAD. And, I work with some of the guys using Solid works. I can tell you that IronCAD is more intuitive from a freedom to design perspective. Once you master the Triball, which is, essentially, the way to do most things, it becomes an effort less task to design in 3D.I can pick and choose where I want to drop the "building blocks" without having to pay attention to it's historical placement on some tree. There's a lot of support available the purchased online support (unfortunately, working on models in the evenings means not getting answers until the next day.) I would definitely recommend IronCAD to anyone with limited design experience, like myself, who is looking for a quick way to start designing in 3D. That said, I have run into some issues, probably from lack of experience, doing some of the 2D stuff, and gear mesh design. The latter issue being that I had to manually place gears in space, and determine if clash was going to be an issue. It's my limited understanding that thinks I remember other programs having an easier time with this process. Sorry for the typos, I'm using my phone. :-)

Back